Menu

I'm holding back, I'm holding back.......

Our oldest dd is a very gifted pianist and organist. She takes piano lessons in a town 20 miles west of here one day and organ lessons 20 miles east of here another day. Both of these towns have churches with big pipe organs, on which dd has permission to practice.

Our organ teacher will be working in the "piano" town, and can give us organ lessons on the same day we will be in that town for piano lessons, IOW, we can go to one town on the same day instead of two different towns on two different days.

Of course, we have to clear this with the church there, but I really see this as no problem, as dd already has permission from this church to practice on the organ anytime.

Problem? The piano teacher is butting in. She sometimes plays the organ for this church and (I think) is miffed that dd has a different organ teacher than herself. I do believe from speaking with her tonight that she is going to cause problems. She was asking all sorts of questions about the organ teacher that were none of her business.

I'm planning on driving into the town and speaking to the pastor with the organ teacher. She's got plenty of credentials and references.

All this came about when piano teacher called me tonight to confirm when lessons would be this school year. I was surprised she was being so.......invasive about something that is none of her business. I didn't say anything, but put a chill in my voice after she went too far.

If you've read this far, you get a medal. I'm so annoyed that she would potentially give us crap about this. Dh was sitting in here listening to me, and I think chuckling to himself as he could see me getting hot under the collar.

Sounds like the piano teacher is on the verge of loosing a gifted student and the money you pay for lessons.

Since piano teachers are usually a dime a dozen, firing the piano teacher is what I'd be looking to do.

Here's the problem, dd is so good that she's better than 9/10s of the teachers around here. I didn't know how we were going to find one after theirs died unexpectedly last year, this woman is unlikable but good. She's pushing it though, dh said if she started causing trouble we'd walk.

Since piano teachers are usually a dime a dozen, firing the piano teacher is what I'd be looking to do.

Ooohhh, I'm sure you didn't really mean to sound so harsh, but my daughter takes lessons from an extremely accomplished teacher who graduated from the finest piano conservatory in Moscow and I assure you that a good piano teacher is not an easy thing to come by. Just so you know.:)

Here's the problem, dd is so good that she's better than 9/10s of the teachers around here. I didn't know how we were going to find one after theirs died unexpectedly last year, this woman is unlikable but good. She's pushing it though, dh said if she started causing trouble we'd walk.

I hope she picked up on your response this evening and will change her tune. I hate when people are so self-defeating.

Ooohhh, I'm sure you didn't really mean to sound so harsh, but my daughter takes lessons from an extremely accomplished teacher who graduated from the finest piano conservatory in Moscow and I assure you that a good piano teacher is not an easy thing to come by. Just so you know.:)

No, I didn't mean to sound harsh, but I did mean when I said,

firing the piano teacher is what I'd be looking to do.

For me life is too short and my money is too precious (I have so little of it) that I wouldn't give it to someone looking to cause me or dd grief.

Remudamom, I hope you are able to get things straightened out to your satisfaction.

Could organ teacher become piano teacher as well? :)

I'd do it in a heartbeat, she teaches piano, but I really don't think she could teach dd much. I know that sounds awful, but it's true. On the other hand, she is a fantabulous organ teacher.

We loooooooooooove our organ teacher, the kids refer to piano teacher as Professor Umbridge.

Sigh. Is this your 15 yo? Is there a college/university nearby where she could take piano? My dd just started with SMU and it's a wonderful program - really just what she needed to go to the next level. Her teacher also teaches students who are getting their masters in piano pedagogy.

Sounds like you dd has outlearned what can be taught locally piano-wise. Maybe she could just focus on organ for a few years? Just thinking out loud. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

Nearest college is over an hour away. This piano teacher is really good, and will do for a few years if she doesn't totally blow it by messing up our organ arrangements.

Dd would hate to quit. This summer she memorized Bach's.......inventions? Or something? 11 or 12 of them?

I don't know this from that, I just love listening to her play.

Could the piano teacher be the organist at the church? Church organists tend to be very territorial about the instruments. She maybe very upset that the organ may not be treated or "left" the way she likes it. Often these folks swirl into service at the last minute and expect the instrument stops to be the way they set them last Sunday. Nothing like a sour note for the opening hymn to give someone something to complain about.

Perhaps it's not the lessons that the issue but the organ which she has come to think as her own private domain.