Menu

Are there disadvantages to a student taking the SAT as a sophomore? (nt)

Hi Margaret,

You might try asking this question over on the high school board too.

The one disadvantage that I see is that the sophomore's SAT scores are part of his/her record. So when the SAT is taken for real as a Jr and/or as a Sr, and the scores are sent to colleges, those sophomore scores get sent along too.

Toward the bottom of this page: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/scores/sending.html it states:

Important notes:

* We send a cumulative report of all scores that are available and reportable at the time your request is received. You cannot send only your latest or highest SAT scores, or separate scores for critical reading, mathematics, or writing sections, or only SAT, or only Subject Test scores.

I looked into this quite a bit when my DS took the SAT in 7th and 8th grade through Johns Hopkins CTY program. I was told that SAT scores from 9th grade on would be part of that cumulative report.

Carole, DE

* We send a cumulative report of all scores that are available and reportable at the time your request is received. You cannot send only your latest or highest SAT scores, or separate scores for critical reading, mathematics, or writing sections, or only SAT, or only Subject Test scores.

While College Board sends all scores when they send a report to a college, the college may not take all scores into consideration. I am an admissions liason officer for the Naval Academy. We take the highest math (ever) and the highest verbal (ever) to form a composite score. We also put a lot of stock in candidates who had low scores, studied and retook the test to improve their scores. (For what we are looking for, identifying a weakness and taking steps to correct it is important.)

Some other colleges take the best set of scores. Others create an aggregate by averaging the scores.

You might also look into the PSAT. I think that this test is now available for lower high school students. The Junior year PSAT is used for determining National Merit Scholarship eligibility. It may also create an avalanche of college information packets in the mailbox.

You might also look into the PSAT. I think that this test is now available for lower high school students. The Junior year PSAT is used for determining National Merit Scholarship eligibility. It may also create an avalanche of college information packets in the mailbox.

Does the PSAT have to be taken the junior year for the National Merit Scholarship? Dd would like to take some college courses for credit in high school, but has to take her PSAT first for the place we're thinking of (and be at least 14, so we're over a year away from this.)

Also, what's the difference between the PSAT and the SAT? Do they cover the same things?

The PSAT counts for National Merit purposes only in the junior year; however, it can be taken earlier if one wishes.

One big difference between the PSAT and SAT is that the PSAT does not include an essay portion.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks. My dd will be very happy to hear it has no essay portion. Can you take the PSAT only once?