Menu

Beast Academy 3A Question

cmarthur

We started Beast Academy using 3B and are currently in 3C with plans to continue through the levels.  Our main program is Singapore Primary Math 4 Standards Edition.  We originally started BA as a supplement for multiplication and division but absolutely love it so we are working through both programs each day. My question is about 3A.   The scope of 3A is shapes, skip counting, and perimeter and area.  I don't want to purchase 3A and spend the time going through it unless there are some important concepts taught in 3A that won't be caught in 4A (shapes, multiplication, exponents).  Those topics are also taught in Singapore 4 but I think BA provides for a deeper understanding.  Can anyone who has completed 3A and 4A tell me if I would be missing anything they feel is important by not going back and doing 3A?  It is the shapes section I am most interested in.  She is pretty solid on perimeter and area.

If you're using Beast as a supplement, then you've skipped some of its best supplemental topics by skipping 3A. There's nothing like that skip counting chapter. And the shapes stuff is some of the more difficult and thought provoking stuff in the whole third grade year.

We've used both 3A and 4A. You'll be fine, I guess. But I think you're thinking about this all wrong.

If you're using Beast as a supplement, then you've skipped some of its best supplemental topics by skipping 3A. There's nothing like that skip counting chapter. And the shapes stuff is some of the more difficult and thought provoking stuff in the whole third grade year.

We've used both 3A and 4A. You'll be fine, I guess. But I think you're thinking about this all wrong.

I've only used 3A and 3B but 3A was so challenging for my daughter. It really made her think. I don't think I'd skip that one. It was a great one for my dd.

The shapes chapter is a very cool chapter on THINKING about shapes. It teaches some logic not found elsewhere. The skip counting chapter is also very good. I don't remember the area and perimeter  chapter being  way better than SM, but I'm about to get to it with my second child.

You could certainly skip 3A, but it is a great book.

Agreeing that it's worth doing for the geometry stuff.  I didn't do a good job teaching elementary level geometry with my older dd.  My younger is getting a much better background.  Heck, I'm learning ways of thinking about shapes and the relation between geometric shapes and math that I never knew!  

There is a lot in BA that isn't "necessary" if your goal is just to meet state standards or pass yearly tests.  But that's the whole point of doing it, right?

You will find new material, won't find it essential, but will find it a beautiful enrichment on simple sounding topics. So whether to use 3A is answered by why would you use it.

Want enrichment and mind stretching? Use it

Worried your student can't progress without it? Don't use it

Would like to learn something new? Use it