Menu

Math after miquon?

angelmama1209

Don't know what is typical now, as we did Miquon back in the days before some of the newer options were available (Beast Academy, Math Mammoth, Life of Fred, etc.), so our progression was:

DS#1 (math minded)

Miquon

Singapore Primary 3A/B, 4A/B, 5A/B, 6A/B

Singapore NEM1 (first half) / Saxon Algebra 1/2 (skim review)

Jacobs Algebra 1, Geometry

Forester's Algebra 2 & Trig

DS#2 (math struggler)

Miquon

(tried several things, Singapore 2A/B and including Saxon 3)

MUS Delta - Algebra 2

Abeka Consumer Math

(and numerous supplements, including Hands-On Equations, some Keys To… workbooks, and excerpts from Singapore 4-6)

If switching to Singapore Primary, I can say from our experience that starting at 3A or 3B is a good choice, as you don't have any "gaps" that way, and the 3A/B level is where Singapore first introduces the "bar method" of problem-solving, and the first level where you start getting more challenging word problems. If Beast Academy had been available, I would have likely added that as a supplement.

It seems to me that I see a number of people go from Miquon to either Singapore or Math Mammoth, as those programs are closer in philosophy to Miquon than programs such as Saxon, Teaching Textbooks, or Horizons. However, any of those are solid programs, so you have lots of options to match up what works best for each individual and unique student. :)

Here are some past threads on this same topic to help you think it through:

- After Miquon

- After Miquon (same title, different thread)

- After Miquan? [sic]

- Where to go after Miquon?

- MEP after Miquon

- LoF fractions after Miquon?

BEST of luck researching and finding what's the best fit for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'm not really sure where we'll go, so I'm interested in hearing where people go after. We are finally *loving* Miquon... but I dislike Singapore, and I don't care for Math Mammoth. I'm afraid that DS5 will lose the fabulous conceptual base that he's getting from Miquon if we move in the programs that I *do* like (CLE, Horizons). At this point, the plan is to move him into CLE 4 after Miquon, and supplement (heavily!) with some of the Zaccaro books, I suppose. I was more heavily leaning towards Beast, but I'm hearing mixed reviews on whether or not Beast is actually a full stand-alone, as opposed to just a really awesome supplement. 

If I were to go back in time, I would do:

Miquon > BA and then toss in whatever living math and other extras I wanted. But, those would be my primary curricula.

BA is definitely a complete curriculum. It might touch upon topics that others do not, but it meets the common core criteria; it just goes beyond them. You mostly hear that people haven't been using it as such yet because many of us outpaced it and simply couldn't use it as a complete curriculum because of publishing issues, not content issues. You might also need additional practice/drills to master multiplication and division facts. But, BA wouldn't be BA if it suddenly tossed in a bunch of drill and kill fact practice. So, I'm totally fine with that!

ETA: Mine was one who didn't like MM or Singapore.

My Miquon kid went into Beast. It was a perfect fit.

We have used some of the Key to books. I like many things about them. I think before Beast came out, doing something to further long division and multiplication and then doing the Key to books along with some other stuff on the side could have been a good bridge for some kids after Miquon to get to algebra. But the Key to books are a little bare bones.