Menu

Zaatar spice from Penzeys - over two years old - toss it right?

momee

If not, what should I use it on?

It wouldn't be bad, just not as flavorful as fresh za'atar.  

There are lots of things you can do with za'atar.  Try mixing it with some olive oil and smearing it on flatbread.  I like to use it to season garbanzo beans when I'm frying them.  It's good in simple salads like chopped cucumber and tomato.  You can add it to lots of Middle Eastern dishes.  You can dip bread in it for a snack.  

I'm (happily) amazed at how popular za'atar has become. I remember being introduced to za'atar about 35 years ago in college by Jordanian friends. For years afterwards they would ship me bags of great za'atar from Jordan, knowing I loved it so much. 

Even in LA za'atar was almost impossible to find thirty years ago. Then slowly it started showing up in Middle Eastern markets. Now it is a "thing."

I'm glad. I love za'atar.

As to the question, maybe I'm too conditioned by the time za'atar was a rare item (and the idea of "tossing it" would have been unthinkable), but I'd try it and se how it tastes first. What a luxury to me able to go to the market and just purchase a new bag, eh?

Bill

I'm (happily) amazed at how popular za'atar has become. I remember being introduced to za'atar about 35 years ago in college by Jordanian friends. For years afterwards they would ship me bags of great za'atar from Jordan, knowing I loved it so much. 

Even in LA za'atar was almost impossible to find thirty years ago. Then slowly it started showing up in Middle Eastern markets. Now it is a "thing."

I'm glad. I love za'atar.

As to the question, maybe I'm too conditioned by the time za'atar was a rare item (and the idea of "tossing it" would have been unthinkable), but I'd try it and se how it tastes first. What a luxury to me able to go to the market and just purchase a new bag, eh?

Bill

I would try it before tossing it, unless it looks bad.  As Amira mentioned, it's yummy on pita bread.  I usually take a store bought pita, spread on some olive oil, and then sprinkle on some za'atar and put it in the oven until warm.  Yum!

Or on warm Khubz (Pita) with a spread of Labne (yoghurt cheese) sprinkled with Za'atar.

One can make Labne by tying up yoghurt in a piece of clean muslin and twisting it and allowing the liquid to drain until thickened (the consistency of cream cheese).

Also Manakish, which are like mini-pizzas, topped with Za'atar and olive oil are classic (and good) hot out of the oven.

Bill