Menu

Millions of Anthem customers personal info hacked

swimmermom3

So, this happened in the fall. The news is about the government saying that anthem handled everything well. 

I won't say they handled it well. They handled it OK. It was a hassle for me. They changed everyone's account numbers. They didn't tell us why. While that was going on I still had appointments so, of course my doctor and the lab both submitted charges under the old account number and were rejected. Do you how disturbing it is to get bills at Christmas that are hundreds of dollars. And when you get the bill you start thinking maybe the insurance company has dropped us. You get a hold of the insurance company and they explain new cards are coming, but they don't come. You put off follow up appointments because the "cards are coming". Finally, you get the cards and new numbers and start calling billing at the lab and doctor and the billing rep for the doctor say "you are the third person to call today with this problem". Everything works out and the billing people agree to put the charges in on the new account number. 

Oh, today is the first I've seen Anthem admit there was a breach. When we were going through this, it was just a breezy "oh, we changed everyone's account numbers" without saying why. Dh immediately thought it was a breach though.

• Like 2

So, this happened in the fall. The news is about the government saying that anthem handled everything well.

I won't say they handled it well. They handled it OK. It was a hassle for me. They changed everyone's account numbers. They didn't tell us why. While that was going on I still had appointments so, of course my doctor and the lab both submitted charges under the old account number and were rejected. Do you how disturbing it is to get bills at Christmas that are hundreds of dollars. And when you get the bill you start thinking maybe the insurance company has dropped us. You get a hold of the insurance company and they explain new cards are coming, but they don't come. You put off follow up appointments because the "cards are coming". Finally, you get the cards and new numbers and start calling billing at the lab and doctor and the billing rep for the doctor say "you are the third person to call today with this problem". Everything works out and the billing people agree to put the charges in on the new account number.

Oh, today is the first I've seen Anthem admit there was a breach. When we were going through this, it was just a breezy "oh, we changed everyone's account numbers" without saying why. Dh immediately thought it was a breach though.

Our credit company had a breach, sent us a letter of notification, recommended additional monitoring, and included our new cards. That was a good way to handle it. Your experience, definitely not.

I am confused. The article says that Anthem discovered the breach last week.

I heard this story on NPR today. Here's what I think was said: all of someone's health info (which wasn't breached, but it it would have been) would sell on the street for $40; a credit card number would sell for $4.

How could someone make money out of having your medical information?

I heard this story on NPR today. Here's what I think was said: all of someone's health info (which wasn't breached, but it it would have been) would sell on the street for $40; a credit card number would sell for $4.

Is there some way they can use it to get prescription drugs to resell?

Social security numbers, addresses, birth days were included
  • Like 1

Social security numbers, addresses, birth days were included

They mentioned that, but the impression given (I may be perceiving it incorrectly) was that the real pot of gold would be the actual medical records. I can't figure out why they would be valuable. I can sure figure out why all the other stuff is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/02/05/why-hackers-are-targeting-the-medical-sector/?hpid=z18

Quoted from the link: 

The information can be used to impersonate hacking victims to obtain medical care or to purchase expensive medical equipment such as motorized wheelchairs. It often takes health-care providers longer to detect this type of fraud than credit card companies or banks, which are constantly looking for inconsistencies that could signal a problem. That also means it can be more time consuming and costly for victims to correct, experts say.

KrebsOnSecurity also posted about it: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/02/data-breach-at-health-insurer-anthem-could-impact-millions/comment-page-2/#comments

• Like 1

It sure seems like something has to change.  We don't have Anthem, but my visa card was just closed last week, for the third time in the last two years, due to a data breach.  This time, our credit card company would not tell me who it was, just that it happened and they were issuing me a new card.  I asked them if I have a right to know who it was since it's my card, and they told me no, the company has chosen to keep it confidential.  That seemed strange.  I did go on a government site though that lists the current data breaches, and the only one listed that I used in the last few months was Shutterfly, so I'm assuming it was that one.

• 1 month later...

I just received a letter in the mail TODAY, a month after you all were notified, that my account was affected. Is anyone else just now finding out?

Half our household got letters today and the other half still haven't heard anything. Once the scope of the breach was announced, I just assumed we were all affected, but I wonder if we'll all wind up getting letters or if only a few numbers were compromised.

I don't understand why it took so long for them to send the letters, though. That seems wrong.

• Like 1

Half our household got letters today and the other half still haven't heard anything. Once the scope of the breach was announced, I just assumed we were all affected, but I wonder if we'll all wind up getting letters or if only a few numbers were compromised.

I don't understand why it took so long for them to send the letters, though. That seems wrong.

No kidding! I was the only one out of our family of seven to receive notification today. I, too, wonder if more will be coming.

I had figured since we hadn't heard anything early on, that our info was "safe."

Oh well. Let the good times roll.

No kidding! I was the only one out of our family of seven to receive notification today. I, too, wonder if more will be coming.

I had figured since we hadn't heard anything early on, that our info was "safe."

Oh well. Let the good times roll.

Us too.  Only some of us got letters.