Menu

Experienced yoga people...

Hikin' Mama

I started taking a yoga class a couple months ago and I am in love with it! I would love to be able to do some of the more advanced poses someday. I'm wondering how long it takes to get strong enough to do them. How often do you do yoga? How often does your practice incorporate some of the poses that require upper body strength? I was watching Kino yoga videos (Youtube) last night and wow! That lady is good!!

ETA: I'm assuming that experienced yogis have no problem with yoga pants, but if you do, don't watch the above mentioned videos. She's wearing a bit less than yoga pants. :)

how long it takes for developing enough strength and balance (fine muscles), and flexibility to do poses - it varies.

let your body be your guide, and it will surprise you.  some things will be easier sooner than other things - you don't always progress at an even rate across every part of your body.

eta: you're also strengthening ligaments and tendons.  My chiro gives me exercises for strengthening muscles I've never had in any yoga practice - unless it was for stretching them.

Which poses? I've been doing yoga on and off for 30 ish years and though I love it, I am not going to wow anyone. Feels great though.

Like a headstand or any of the ones in which you are on your hands and your legs are off the ground somewhere. Obviously, I'm new at this because I don't know the names. :) Okay, I just went back to the videos. One was bakasana, although the title said beginner yoga, it doesn't look beginner to me. I can't find the other two I wanted to do. Most of what she does I don't think I'll ever be able to do.

you know, I never really think about it that way. I've been doing yoga pretty regularly for well over 25 years. First on tv with Kareen Zebroff - who was a Vancouver local.

My first teacher was a little lady who was in her late 60s by then (oddly, it was someone Kareen knew & the two of them published a cookbook together...It was a small yoga world here back then.) 

If I got hooked on anything, it was the simple message of non-competitiveness & awareness & acceptance of our body.  I remember actually being gently cautioned about the fact that I was so flexible (I have some weird floppy joints) could be a hinderance - I might look good in the pose but I might not be growing in my practice or benefiting from the practice as much as the very stiff person next to me who was doing a very small modified version. It was a lesson which I took to heart. It's not about the pose or how pretty it looks or how deep or how flexible.

Ashtanga has never appealed to me. I'm a hatha girl with a small sprinkle of kundalini & lot of love for restorative.

you know, I never really think about it that way. I've been doing yoga pretty regularly for well over 25 years. First on tv with Kareen Zebroff - who was a Vancouver local.

My first teacher was a little lady who was in her late 60s by then (oddly, it was someone Kareen knew & the two of them published a cookbook together...It was a small yoga world here back then.)

If I got hooked on anything, it was the simple message of non-competitiveness & awareness & acceptance of our body. I remember actually being gently cautioned about the fact that I was so flexible (I have some weird floppy joints) could be a hinderance - I might look good in the pose but I might not be growing in my practice or benefiting from the practice as much as the very stiff person next to me who was doing a very small modified version. It was a lesson which I took to heart. It's not about the pose or how pretty it looks or how deep or how flexible.

Ashtanga has never appealed to me. I'm a hatha girl with a small sprinkle of kundalini & lot of love for restorative.

Good points. Keeping my strength, or trying to, as I get older is one of my goals. I currently lift weights, but I really enjoy yoga so much more. I would love to be able to use it to stay strong.

I'm going to have to look up all those types of yoga, as this is still pretty foreign to me. I don't even know what kind we do in our class. :)

I do yoga a couple times a week, and I've been practicing for years and I'm no where close to being able to doing those "advanced" poses.  I think it takes years of daily practice as well as the right genetics for some of those poses.  

If you are only able to attend a class twice a week, I highly recommend YogaGlo.com  They have excellent teachers and a wide variety of styles for you to try.  

I love yoga, but I also run and do kettlebell.  Yoga, for me, is for the postures, the stretching, a bit of core strength, but mostly I love it for the mental aspect.  I love practicing, focusing on my breath.  I see myself practicing yoga into my old age.  Running may have to slow down, and weights may also slow down, but I plan on always practicing yoga.  

I do yoga a couple times a week, and I've been practicing for years and I'm no where close to being able to doing those "advanced" poses. I think it takes years of daily practice as well as the right genetics for some of those poses.

If you are only able to attend a class twice a week, I highly recommend YogaGlo.com They have excellent teachers and a wide variety of styles for you to try.

I love yoga, but I also run and do kettlebell. Yoga, for me, is for the postures, the stretching, a bit of core strength, but mostly I love it for the mental aspect. I love practicing, focusing on my breath. I see myself practicing yoga into my old age. Running may have to slow down, and weights may also slow down, but I plan on always practicing yoga.

Kim, I run too! I love the balance poses and how much they challenge me. The other night, we were doing a bunch of poses on one leg. She kept changing the poses, but we continued on the same leg. (We did eventually switch legs and repeat the poses on that side.) My leg was burning, but I held the poses. :) It is less challenging for me to run 15 miles than it is to hold some of those poses. I also love how downward dog stretches my calves. Oh how they need that! I, too, hope to be able to do yoga into my old age.

I keep reading about YogaGlo. I really need to go check it out.