Menu

Managing screen time for a teen overworking for a month

My ds is between a rock and a hard place with his math for the next month.  Not only does he have his two AoPS classes overlapping for 3 weeks, he has gotten into a competitive math squad that requires about 15 hours of work a week.  And to add to that he will be taking 2 international exams, one for 4 hours and one for 8. This is heading towards 50 hours of math per week, which I know is completely ridiculous which is why he has contacted all the teachers/professors/coaches involved to explain that this was completely unexpected and impossible.  Clearly, some of his work will slide, but not much as he is driven and feels that extensions will just delay the work and not completing it will let people down. 

What I am finding is that he wants to watch movies during his down time - lots and lots of movies, like 3 hours a day.  He is still reading for about 45 minutes before bed, and has about 5 hours of PE classes each week, but every other scrap of free time he wants to just veg with a movie.  Is this ok?  I think it is, but I would like some wider advice.

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

No experience with kids, but I can relate that I did exactly that after every exam in law school, and after the bar exam. I distinctly recall watching the South Park movie after a 1L exam because I desperately needed something that could take me out of my head and cease the endless ruminations. It worked wonders! I can imagine that he is trying to find a way to compartmentalize as well.

Thanks guys.  Makes me feel better.  I don't want to be the slack mama but seems to me I should just let him watch as much as he wants/needs.

For ds it has been Lost, all seasons.  Just started Sherlock.  Plus movies Friday, Saturady, and Sunday night. Tonight we are watching Back to the Future as a family.

Open to idea for other dark but not horrific series.

Unless he starts wanting to watch the movies when he should be working, I wouldn't be too concerned.  

No issue here.  He is saving them for the evenings/nights he is not working.  Some days it is 9-5 and 8pm-11pm on math, other days he stops at 4pm and starts watching.  Seems a bit boom and bust. 

He just took the BMO2, and starting watching at 4 even though he knows we are watching a movie tonight as a family.  He plans to work all weekend on the squad problems and preCalc, probably 6 hours a day.  So it is all a bit erratic.

We vege out on The Simpsons, Sherlock, Dr Who, Star Trek, Doc Martin, Monk, Frasier and a few others. Not on weekdays, only weekends (but I would totally lift than ban if DS needed it like your DS does). Good luck to him for all the coming challenges!

And oh, DS loves food-related shows: Alton Brown, Food Channel, etc. The One Hundred Foot Journey is lovely!

Not on weekdays, only weekends (but I would totally lift than ban if DS needed it like your DS does).

Well, this is what I told him -- that it is only for this month, and then it is back to Wed night with dad (a couple of tv shows), and Friday family movie night, plus 3 hours for video games on the weekend (they are into Civilization). So typically 7 hours per week - ish.

Problem is I think he might get used to this augmented level, and I am anticipating a bit of a fight at the end of the month, especially because I think he will be pretty burned out and the work doesn't just die away.  He will still have AoPS preCalc + 15 hours/week squad problems until Easter and this is in addition to any other work I choose to have him do.  I have made the annual plan pretty light until Easter, but I think he will crave some variety after this month, so I've put in a bit of light English, Mandarin, physics, and music (but really light).  So I feel like he might want this augmented level of screen time until Easter, and then I'm thinking it will feel like normal. 

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Only because you asked :D. I would totally do what feels right for you...only that here, we are now feeling the effects of emerging puberty and my usually very, very easygoing kiddo is starting to show crankiness and attitude (I think mainly due to lack of sleep and constant appetite/ cravings). I am taking it a day at a time...what works one day might not the next. What I anticipate is that things are only going to get busier here, not less busy (unless we decide to take a gap semester which is starting to feel very tempting) so I might also need to change what the usual restrictions/ rules are so we can hopefully achieve some semblance of balance.

Above everything, I want a rested, emotionally stable, happy, healthy child. Even if happy doesn't happen often enough, I will shoot for rested and emotionally stable and healthy. So if he wants a little TV on weekdays and it means an hour of peace and closer bond between us (we like watching it together), I might just change the rules. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

Only because you asked :D. I would totally do what feels right for you...only that here, we are now feeling the effects of emerging puberty and my usually very, very easygoing kiddo is starting to show crankiness and attitude (I think mainly due to lack of sleep and constant appetite/ cravings). I am taking it a day at a time...what works one day might not the next. What I anticipate is that things are only going to get busier here, not less busy (unless we decide to take a gap semester which is starting to feel very tempting) so I might also need to change what the usual restrictions/ rules are so we can hopefully achieve some semblance of balance.

Above everything, I want a rested, emotionally stable, happy, healthy child. Even if happy doesn't happen often enough, I will shoot for rested and emotionally stable and healthy. So if he wants a little TV on weekdays and it means an hour of peace and closer bond between us (we like watching it together), I might just change the rules. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

Ah, wise Quark.  Thanks for this.

Ah, wise Quark.  Thanks for this.

:blush: Not at all...I feel so blind and :willy_nilly: most days. Any thoughts from you on how to raise a kid with so much stamina would be so appreciated! We still have a long ways to go on time management and countering distractability...getting there slowly but only one little tiptoe at a time :001_smile:.