Menu

Writing Program for Co-op Setting?

MamaSprout

How did they manage doing CAP W&R Narrative 2? It's broken up into similar daily lessons.

We cover about 60% of the lesson in class. They complete the lesson at home, read the intro to the next lesson and write the longer written assignment to bring back as homework, which they usually read out loud. I give them a checklist of which assignments to do for each lesson.

I only "grade" this longer assignment at the end of each lesson.

Okay, I've read the sample of WWS cover to cover... and I don't think it's going to work. It's too tree to forest, and too much reading for two of my students.

What I'd really like to find is something that transitions from paragraph to essay and covers outlining. Something like this, but without the IEW "structure" (or cost). http://iew.com/shop/products/medieval-history-based-writing-lessons-student-book-only

I have this as a supplement: http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/grammar-lessons-and-strategies-that-strengthen-students-writing

I looked at Maxwell's School Composition, and it might maybe work, but it doesn't actually go to essays.

Anything I've overlooked? I don't need a lot of teacher helps, but I really don't want to write a course from scratch, either.

Are there any great workbooks somewhere or other google books I've overlooked?

I'd say the group "average" is 7th grade. I don't think they are ready for Lively Art yet.  So, pre-LAoW essay book?

I really like the modeling that happens in classical writing.

Thanks!

I have taught WriteShop in co-op.  This is my third year.  I had 4th-8th and 5th-9th the first year.  This year, it's in a different co-op, but they are ages 9-12.  I think grade 3-6.  It works really well at all levels.  I am going to continue next year with a new one for 4th-6th and a "boot camp" type one for 7th-9th.  I really, really enjoy it.  It's very flexible and very easy to teach, grade, etc. There is a variety of assignments and you can skip ones also.  I like the Skill Builder part as well - it teaches the grammar skills that will be used in the essays.  There is a lot of descriptive writing, narrative, report, and then your regular higher level writing in WS II.

Why not just do the next CAP W&R?

Actually, that's what I'm going to do. After looking over the options (and looking and looking), I decided that with some tweeks, Chreia is the best option for this group for next year.

I do not like the physical books. I was afraid my students were too old. But they respond well to it, are writing, and tell their younger siblings, "Maybe you can come to a writing class next year."

So one semester at a time, we are staying with CAP W&R.