Menu

Worth it for us to get Beast 4C?

Farrar

So when BA4C came out, I thought, we'll get that and it'll probably be the last one. But I put it off. He had other math things he was doing - some chapters from NCERT, some Process Skills stuff, some math projects... And now I'm starting to question doing it at all, but I'm really on the fence.

Con:

He's beyond fourth grade math. He is begging me to start Jousting Armadillos. He is psyched to be doing some of the problems on Alcumus. He has really finally clicked with complex word problems and strategies. If we do this Beast book, it'll definitely slow him down from moving on to things he wants to move on to. I mean, there's a whole adding and subtracting fractions chapter. Today we were playing with Egyptian fractions, which is more complex than that. I started to think it was a move backward. If there are any basics topics that he needs to really go back to, it's geometry and measurement stuff, neither of which will be in there.

Pro:

On the other hand, it covers primes and integers, two topics he knows about but could use a little more deep exposure with. And while he's wanting to start pre-algebra, maybe he could slow down a little. He's only in 5th grade and he's young for grade and while he's good at math, it's not like he's so so advanced or anything. I don't want to push him too much. Plus, he would enjoy it. He likes Beast a lot. When it comes up when other homeschool parents are around he says in this dreamy voice, "I love Beast," and sort of flops into me most of the time (flopping being a further sign of great affection).

Zenmeban? (What to do?) I'd especially love to hear from anyone who has used it already. Worth it? Will it remind me about all the things I adore about Beast or just make me sad that we've grown beyond it?

That's the process we went through last fall, and I decided it was time to move on. I say just jump into JA and let him take math to the next level. I was so scared to make a jump, so afraid to sink, thinking DS was too young, but boy am I happy we put BA to the side (or in our case stopped waiting for it) and worked through JA. We have been having the best math year ever.

We are starting a combo of JA and AoPS pre-algebra later this month, but I got BA 4C anyway when it came out. Honestly, we flew through it. DD was beyond it but it included some of her favorite topics. But, we had used so many other things with these topics that, for us, there wasn't a whole lot of new ways of thinking. It gave her a ton of confidence to totally kick BA butt, though!

I told her there was another 4 level and all of 5, and she told me she thinks we don't need to buy them anyway. I might for my sake, but she feels done. It was so perfect at one time, but I guess we have moved on.

We're at a similar place and are just finishing 4C.  Some of the book was very easy but there were some new topics (I guess new facets of topics she had already begun).  DD still wants to do the next book, and we probably will, but we will be doing some early pre-algebra as well.  We have started LOF Pre-algebra and will probably start Jousting Armadillos soon, too.  So maybe if you do decide to do it just combine it with pre-algebra?  We spend a few days a week on pre-algebra and a few days on the last of the elementary math topics.

I wasn't going to answer - you've got responses on both sides already - but since you say "zenmeban?" which I learned about in your other post, here goes:

Get it. He'll read the guide if you leave it out, and that won't hurt anything. He could do it all if he wants, you could pick some of it to do over the next year as an intro to topics, or you could end up doing none and reselling it.

I'd get it. Math is math. It doesn't matter what the number on the cover says. It's fun and there's something to learn in there and probably some very challenging problems too. I have often regretted making decisions to move my daughter onto more grown up books and skipping out on some fun stuff. When you realize it, it's too late to go back.

Thanks, guys! Still torn. In the end, it's probably no big deal either way. It's funny how we obsess over these things that turn out to matter so little. I have to say, if it was Factors (including Primes), Integers, and Probability (which is in 4D), I would definitely get it. Probability is the last topic we have yet to really cover before we move on. I was just going to read a Murderous Maths's Do You Feel Lucky and do the Gems guide about probability though, so it isn't like I don't have resources.

He wants to do it. And it's true that I would sort of enjoy having it too. I like the idea of both moving on and continuing to review and cover elementary math at the same time. It's nice to have math where you don't need mom to be right there and yet it can still be interesting and challenging, I guess.