Menu

which apologia science??

kfeusse

Any order would be okay for that age, but be prepared for him to need 2-3 of them to fill a school year.

If you are looking at zoology 2 or 3 and haven't covered taxonomy yet they used to keep the taxonomy chapter of zoo 1 free on the website.

Of the elementary series, I think the Anatomy & Physiology and Chemistry & Physics books are the "meatiest."   I agree that for a 6th grader, you may need 2 of the other books to fill a full year - which would be a good pace to prepare for General Science in 7th grade (which has longer reading, more experiments, and more notebooking expected than the elementary series).

We are just doing the Human Anatomy book this year for Science.  In the past we have done science course in one year but this year we are taking it easy and just doing the one.  It is pretty meaty, also covers some health topics which is nice if you are required to teach health.  We did the Chemistry & Physics book last year, there are a ton of experiments in that book.  I would highly suggest if you choose that book to make it the only one you do and try and do all the experiments.  We just did not get to some of the experiments because we were also doing Winter Promise's Equine Science.

thank you very much for all of this.  My son does love science.  Up until this year we used Nancy Larson and I think it is very good.  We only stopped because she hasn't finished writing the next level and now it looks like it won't be done for another year yet...so I think it is safe to say we are done with NL simply because by the time she is done writing, he will be too old. 

So this year we are doing Mr Q Chemistry.  Which is going ok, I guess....but I do not like the idea that there is the teacher's manual has very little helps in it and the student manual isn't as clear on explanations as I would like.  But I have it all printed out, so we will do as much as we can this school year. 

But I am looking for something new for my kids for next year. 

I have another son who will be an 8th grader, so I know he will need one of the jr. high levels and I also have a daughter entering HS...so I will have her start Biology (if we indeed do this series).

thanks again for all of your help.