Menu

6th grade and up?

bry's-gal

Hello,

I'm trying to wrap my head around what we need to get done in the middle school years (6th-8th) to be ready for High School.  I feel like I have a good grasp on math, grammar, writing, reading but am struggling with Science and History.  Can anyone share with me what they did for Science and History for the older grades?  

Thanks,

Christine

Dd is currently in 6th grade.  For science we are doing Apologia Human Anatomy and Physiology (young explorers series) and for history I am currently doing Mystery of History vol III.  In 7th grade she will do Apologia General Science and then in 8th Physical Science.  As for history next year we will do MoH vol IV but for 8th grade I am probably going to do Sonlight Core 100 which is US History.

My DS is in 8th grade this year and for science we are going through the book Science Matters. We are using it as a read-aloud and really enjoying it. I would highly recommend it as introduction/overview of science before high school. It's good enough that I might have DS reread it each year during high school as well. The other middle school science that has worked well is Ellen McHenry's programs.

For history I would also work in at least one overview. We are using A Little History of the World. For our 8th grade year, we are actually doing geography instead of history. I'm using a combo of Around the World in 180 Days, Halliburton's Book of Marvels, and Mapping the World with Art.

I also think it's good for kids to be able to study areas of history and science that interest them, while they still have plenty of time to do so.

We haven't gotten to high school just yet; but to me the number one thing is study skills. Flash cards, notes, outlining, daily studying (not just before a test), organized notebook and binders, etc.

Any suggestions for help with the study skills?

I have a 6th grader right now, so I'm listening!

Well last year we used Calvert grade 6 and the course walks the student through learning study skills every day, every lesson.  But basically I think personally that now or soon is a great time to sign up for one class online or outside the house, graded by someone else and content heavy.  This will force you and your student to take study skills seriously and get regular and consistent with it.  I personally think Science lends itself to that the best of all subject we have tried.  

My son learned last year and has continued:

1.  The student should have a 3 ring binder with looseleaf paper for notebooks and assignment.  The reason they can't just use separate spiral notebooks for every subject is that it's expensive, unrealistic, and it makes turning in assignments very difficult.  They should be able to take things out of their binder, hand it in for a grade, and put it back in the binder.

2.  EVERYTHING should be dated and your child's name on it.  EVERYthing.

3.  Your child should have a way to store flash cards.  Either a huge zipper pouch with rubber bands, extra flash cards.  Or, we prefer the little plastic flashcard filing boxes.  We put extra rubber bands and blank flashcards in the back, and then my son keeps all subjects in the same little box.

4.  Flashcards should contain all new vocabulary words, anything new to the student plus anything the book consideres necessary to be defined.  If the book puts the word in italics or bold print, then it goes on the flashcard.  

5.  Flashcards should be studied EVERY day and this should be a planned into your planner, in writing.

As to notes:

The student should always outline any content based subjects, as well as answering all end of chapter questions.  Everything should be labeled and dated with the page numbers and sections/chapter numbers. Notes should be studied every day for 3 days before any test.  You should perform periodic or even daily "notebook checks" to ensure that your student is taking good, clear notes.

Every subject should also have a folder or folder pocket of some kind.  We like the thin small pockets that came with his binder.

that is all I can think of for now.  hope it helps

CT, did they work with paper or use online programs like Quizlet for their flashcards? Was there a lot of handwritten work?

I ask because I realized that T has done almost everything in Word and Quizlet this year. Even worksheets are Word documents that she types into and hands in using Dropbox.

For science, we've studied biology, chemistry and physics in an age appropriate form. For 8th grade we'll run through all three as a review but with less depth. For history, we do a lot of reading and writing. We finished a four year cycle of essentially European history in fifth grade and decided to do a year of world history and geography (focusing on nonwestern countries) and then two years of US history.

Since she'll be going to a public school, I want my daughter to both learn content as well as academic skills like paper writing, working with a textbook, answering questions in complete sentences, showing work in math and such. Honestly, I feel like she's already well prepared and we have plenty of time left. Of course, I'd like for her to be a little less daydreamy and more focused and organized but otherwise we're set.

CT, did they work with paper or use online programs like Quizlet for their flashcards? Was there a lot of handwritten work?

I ask because I realized that T has done almost everything in Word and Quizlet this year. Even worksheets are Word documents that she types into and hands in using Dropbox.

This is a good question. We preferred using manual writing and physical flashcards because they can be taken anywhere with the book and new ones made. also the notes should be done by hand because the student ahould be learning how to outline and take good notes. If you do decide to allow her to type her notes they should be printed out, dated, and filed in order in the binder. Probbaly not so with flashcards.

As we move further Into the digital age there are more and more smart ways to do things. But I still think that age 11 most kids will need some amount of hands on note taking and studying. My son now does some of his notes typed but he prints them and puts them into his binder. He has an iPad and mac pro and still prefers (to my utter amazement) physical flashcards. That makes me happy for now as I want to limit screen time whenever possible. :)