Menu

Need advice concerning diploma

To me, the diploma is just a piece of paper (yes, a very nice piece of paper.)  DD is applying to colleges later this year and since she just told us what major she is interested in, I started researching requirements for homeschoolers for those target schools.

I sent a question to a school and this statement made me anxious:

Because not all homeschooled students receive a high school diploma/complete the GED, we will also accept a document from the department of education in the state that the student resides which verifies completion of a homeschool program. 

I live in an easy-to-homeschool state where the dept of ed does not have anything to do with homeschoolers.  I was planning on just issuing a diploma myself.  If I do issue the diploma myself, do you think that will be enough.  I know I can ask the admissions department to clarify but I thought to ask here first.

Thank you!

If you are legally allowed to graduate your student from your homeschool in your state and issue her a diploma, your student has obtained a diploma. Period.

In my state, there are few regulations and the state does NOT issue diplomas for homeschoolers.

My student has legally completed high school, so she received a diploma issued by the homeschool.

I find it curious that the college cares about a diploma at all - none of the schools my DD applied to wanted to see a diploma, they were all just interested in seeing the transcript.

Well, as always, the first, best response is -- research the school and go with what the school wants. None of us here would want to tell you one thing and the actual policy be something else, causing your student to not be admitted! Which state are you in, and what college responded with this statement?

A few general things to bear in mind:

NO state issues a diploma to a homeschooler. (See the thread: "Does anyone receive a diploma from the state?") The closest thing to a state-issued diploma for homeschoolers is CA's "Certificate of Profiency" -- see Ellie's post #25 in that linked thread.

Accredited diplomas are *occasionally* required in just a very few specific circumstances. (See the thread: "An accredited diploma -- is it important or not?") Homeschoolers may choose to receive an *accredited* diploma by paying an umbrella school or accrediting agency to verify and accredit their coursework, and that organization (which is accredited by one of the educational accrediting agencies in the US) provides an accredited diploma to the student upon completion of the required credits.

A few colleges have special requirements for homeschoolers:

NY SUNY schools are among the very few colleges that require some special hoop-jumping for admission by homeschoolers.

Some cosmetology schools require a GED if the student does not have an accredited diploma (i.e., diploma awarded by an accredited school or umbrella school/agency).

And I recall a thread ("BJU or America School?") about BYU Idaho, in which the college requires homeschoolers and private school students without accredited diplomas to additionally submit either: a GED, OR a COMPASS test score, OR have 15+ credits from an accredited college or university.

HOWEVER!! The vast majority of colleges have only a few requirements from homeschoolers:

1. completed admission application

2. official copies of all transcripts (homeschool, any high schools attended, and college transcripts from any dual enrollment)

3. an ACT or SAT score

About 30 colleges in the US *additionally* require 2-4 SAT Subject test scores. See one of these links for list of colleges that require, recommend or accept SAT Subject tests:

Institutions Utilizing Sat Subject Tests (list by college -- part of a College Board website article)

Colleges Requiring SAT II (list by state -- from Monson High School guidance dept.)
College Admission Requirements -- SAT Subject Tests (list by college -- from Compass Education Group)
2012-2013 School Year: Schools that Require, Recommend or Utilize SAT Subject Tests in Admissions or Placement (list by state -- includes Canada by Provence and UK, plus an appendix on SAT II and the ACT Test -- from Radnor High school -- must click on the link for the file to download)

BACK TO YOU, Original Poster:

Unless there is some actual policy not directly stated in their response, from the wording you received from the college in response to your question about requirements for homeschoolers, that looks like as long as you provide a copy of your official diploma, an official final homeschool transcript, and an ACT or SAT score, you will be fine. I personally would probably do a few extra things to help alleviate this college's (groundless) anxiety ;):

1. Include Official Wording

On the bottom of the diploma in small type, include a statement:  "Diploma issued in compliance with New Jersey State Home Education Regulations (N.J.S.A. 18A:38-25, -31)."  And then on the transcript in small type at the bottom include a similar statement: "All credits and high school education requirements completed in compliance with New Jersey State Home Education Regulations ((N.J.S.A. 18A:38-25, -31)."

2. Official Looking Diploma

Purchase a nice, printed diploma (the ones from Homeschool Diploma are very official looking), with a gold embossed seal -- and if your student had a high GPA, a gold "honors" seal. Make a photocopy and send it to the school as part of the admission packet, along with the admission application, official transcript, and course descriptions.

3. Remove "Homeschool" From Immediate Notice

Consider naming your homeschool (example: "Family Last Name Academy"), and use that name in the heading of the transcript and on the diploma. Removing the words "homeschool" or "home education" apparently reduces that groundless anxiety of some colleges about homeschoolers. ;)

4. Mimic Public School Transcripts
Be sure the heading on transcript reads "Official Final High School Transcript". (Again, having a school name rather than "homeschool" in the heading can reduce the focus on a college's groundless anxiety about homeschoolers.)

5. Make Documents "More Official"

Consider getting an embossing stamp and use it on the transcript to make it appear that much more "official" -- see how Margaret in CO did that in post #21 of "Any of you willing to share a copy of your child's transcript?". Also, consider sending a notarized copy of the transcript (and diploma), to make the documents "more official". (See the thread, "Notarized transcript?")

BEST of luck, as you navigate the muddy waters of college admission and financial aid applications! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Well, as always, the first, best response is -- research the school and go with what the school wants. None of us here would want to tell you one thing and the actual policy be something else, causing your student to not be admitted! Which state are you in, and what college responded with this statement?

NJ.  Rhode Island School of Design.

1. Include Official Wording

On the bottom of the diploma in small type, include a statement: "Diploma issued in compliance with (insert your State Name) State Department of Education Homeschool Regulations (insert Statute Number here)." And then on the transcript in small type at the bottom include a similar statement: "All credits and high school education requirements completed in compliance with (insert your State Name) State Departe of Education Homeschool Regulations (Insert Statute Number here)."

But most states do not have any requirements for graduation for homeschoolers.

ITA with your other recommendations, though.

NJ.  Rhode Island School of Design.

Looks like homeschool diploma is perfectly fine. Here's the admission page, and it looks like the school's only concern for ANY student to be admitted is that they either have graduated (i.e., have a diploma), or high school equivalency (i.e., GED):

"Graduation from secondary school is a prerequisite, although a high school equivalency diploma may be accepted. Prospective applicants are urged to follow a college preparatory program in secondary school"

It looks like the school is more concerned about other admission requirements:
1. Application
2. Transcripts
3. an ACT or SAT score
4. a portfolio (of artwork/drawings)
5. 2 short essays (topics on the website)
6. letter of recommendation

Good luck to your student! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.