Menu

Does anyone receive a diploma from the state?

I'm trying to understand some proposed changes to our homeschool regulations. They're not great. Argh. Just a lovely thing to spring on us right before Christmas. One of the things that is included in them is that homeschoolers are eligible for a state issued diploma after having jumped through a bunch of stupid hoops which may or may not be optional - trying to work my way through this proposal at the moment. I have seriously never heard of such a thing. Is this a practice in any state? I'm not talking about things like k-12 or through public charter or part time schooling options, but as a straight up homeschooler, is there any state that issues you an "official" state diploma under any circumstances?

Someone told me that maybe you can get a diploma in New York? The more I look at this law, the odder it seems.

What about requirements for specific subjects? I've seen that some people have to teach state history once? Are there any states that determine your whole high school sequence? In this case, it would be World History 1, World History 2, US History, US Government (half credit), Not-a-State History (half credit). All homeschoolers would be required to teach those courses in high school. As well as specific lab sciences, half a music credit... a bunch of stuff...

I'm out west; neither my state nor the ones around me have state-awarded diplomas -- all low-regulation states here when it comes to homeschooling. I am not an expert on all the states' regulations regarding high school and homeschooling, BUT… from all the reading I've done on the WTM high school board, I believe the answer to your question is:

No. No state has an official state-issued diploma.

And honestly, there is no way a state really could in good conscious do this, unless they monitor and oversee the output and testing of high school homeschooling students to make sure they are accomplishing the credits required for a diploma. Because that is what the diploma is -- a document stating that the student's work has been verified and shown to have met the requirements for graduation.

Many states view homeschoolers as either private schools or similar to private schools, and so determining graduation requirements and granting diplomas is up to the homeschooler (or private school). There are a few states with some "twists" to the homeschooling diploma question:

- New York:

in order to attend a New York college, NY residents must have a state-issued diploma. BUT, NY homeschoolers are not eligible for state-issued diplomas, so they must provide one of the two state-approved substitutes: either 1) a GED, or 2) obtain a letter from the student's school district superintendent stating the student has received the substantial equivalent of a high school education. There is also the option of the New York State High School Equivalency Diploma (based on having earned 24 college credits) -- but frankly, I don't understand what this is or how one gets it. And, it is NOT awarded by the state, but by the GED testing office. So, no state-awarded diplomas to homeschoolers in NY.

- Pennsylvania

The PHAA (Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Accreditation Agency) provides accredited diplomas to homeschoolers, and those diplomas are recognized by the state of PA (however, "recognized" is different from being "issued" by the state). So, the option of an accredited diploma, but no state-issued diploma.   ETA: See Maryalice's correct information on PA diplomas below in post #30.

- South Carolina and Georgia

No state-issued diplomas here, but previously accredited diplomas were required for homeschool residents of those states to be eligible for special scholarships to those states' universities. I believe the regulations recently changed for both states, and it looks like the eligibility requirements for homeschoolers are now based on SAT scores...

Another related topic is that there is sometimes the need for an accredited diploma (which, actually, should be worded as "diploma from an accredited agency", but I digress ;) ). To receive an accredited diploma, a homeschooler pays an accredited umbrella school or agency to track and oversee credits and curriculum to make sure the accrediting organization's requirements for credits and curriculum have been met. The accredited agency then issues an accredited diploma.

Clonlara, Kolbe, and American School are examples of accredited organizations that can award accredited diplomas. Also, for those homeschoolers living in GA, there is the option of jumping hoops as a homeschooler and becoming accredited -- "Bev in B'ville ? about your accreditation" has more info on how to become an accredited homeschooler.

For more on "to accredit or not to accredit" (lol), see "Accreditation service, or just keep porfolio and transcript, or something else?". And there are more past threads on accreditation in the big pinned thread at the top of the high school board: "Transcripts, Credits… Accreditation… links to past threads here!" (The accreditation threads are grouped towards the bottom of post #1)

All of that is a lot of convoluted backstory to say: if your area is working towards state-issued diplomas, that actually seems like a big step *backwards* from the overall loosening of regulations by states, and general acceptance of homeschoolers and homeschool diplomas by universities. 

- Does this mean that the state will start requiring specific graduation requirements of homeschoolers, in order for them to receive the state-issued diplomas?

- How does the state plan to oversee the work of homeschool high school students to ensure they are accomplishing the required credits in order to earn the state-issued diploma?

- With virtually all colleges/universities on board with homeschooling and accepting homeschoolers, their transcripts, and their home-issued diplomas (with ACT/SAT or SATII or AP scores to back up "mommy grades"), what would be the need or benefit of a state-issued diploma?

As a homeschooler, keeping in mind those points, I'd be rapidly backing away from having anything to do with a state-issued diploma...

What about requirements for specific subjects? I've seen that some people have to teach state history once? Are there any states that determine your whole high school sequence? In this case, it would be World History 1, World History 2, US History, US Government (half credit), Not-a-State History (half credit). All homeschoolers would be required to teach those courses in high school. As well as specific lab sciences, half a music credit... a bunch of stuff...

Well, in some of the high-regulation states homeschool high school students are required to take certain types of credits, but it does not have to be in a specific sequence, and you can still choose to use the materials you wish. So if you are following a classical chronological history cycle through high school, you just make sure you include some additional material along with your classical materials to cover the state history, or health, or whatever the required credits are.

Once you reach the high school years, you'll find that if the goal for your students is college-prep, or at least the option of college, you really DO need to complete certain amounts of credits to meet the *college* freshman admission requirements. So yes, even in low-regulation states, if you want to be eligible for college admission you find you ARE "required" to teach certain courses (but using your choice of materials and in your choice of sequence). It usually looks something like this, depending on the university:

4 credits = English

3-4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, a higher math with Alg. 2 as a pre-requisite)

2-4 credits = Science, with labs (often Biology and Chemistry are preferred)

2-3 credits = Social Studies (1 credit = American History; the other credits are often more flexible)

2-4 credits = Foreign Language (of the same language; some colleges require modern language and don't accept Latin)

1 credit = Fine Arts

4-8 credits = Electives

20-28 (or more) credits total

WTMer Barbara H has a great website for the high school years: Homeschool Success. Here is a chart of Homeschool High School Requirements, in which she lays out for you how many credits and of what types, AND what level of rigor, AND how many AP tests, to plan for depending on what type of college your student wants to shoot for. As you can see from her chart, it is college entry -- and the need for scholarships to pay for college, which comes from high ACT/SAT and AP test scores -- that starts dictating a lot of what you end up being "required" to do in your homeschool high school...

Just sharing our situation:

In Europe a diploma is pretty standard, and it is the only way to get access to college if you are under 21.

So getting a diploma is pretty important here, even for the vocational tracks diploma's are required.

By law Flemish homeschoolers are required to get the diploma for primary education and for middle school.

Highschool isn't required yet, but we will as we know one can't do much without highschool diploma here.

Yes we have hoops to jump through.

The exams give pressure on dd's shoulder I wished she wouldn't have it yet.

Otherside so far the examprograms only describe what to know, not how to cover it.

So far we are not required to use state approved books or so, dd just have to pass.

We do more then just the requirements, but that is possible because dd is able to, for a more average child it would be hard to cover the requirements and do lots of extra's...

Thanks, everyone... and Lori, especially.

It definitely is like a huge step backwards. And the points you bring up are exactly my worry, especially vis a vis college. It's all very strange, honestly. There's even worse in this law. It's pretty terrible. It's good to know that no other states do this. I think that will go a long way toward persuading the board, honestly.

I get that for college admittance, that kids need to do pretty much all the courses they're requiring. I'm more worried about other kids and families than my own for some of those, honestly. If we were homeschooling because my kids had learning disabilities and I didn't anticipate ever getting them through algebra II or a physics lab, then that would be a problem for me. Also, from the way it's written, I don't think we could do a classical cycle and just cover some government and not-a-state history. It's written that the four credits have to be completely those. And I do sort of have a problem with that. Plus, there's no mechanism spelled out for checking that homeschoolers are doing these things. And if they're going to try to issue diplomas... Argh.

Yikes.

What exactly is the driving force behind this movement? It seems like there is usually either a "money trail" or a "fear trail" in these pushes for changes that are a move backwards...

Is it that the state (well, in your case, D.C. ;) ) fears it is losing too many students to alternatives to public schools (and hence, the state funding for those students)?

Is it connected to wanting to show all students have the same diplomas that meet specified requirements (whether Common Core or other)?

Is it because universities in your area are suddenly turning New York-ish, and are pushing for only accepting residents with state-issued diplomas (see my explanation on NY in my above post)?

I do find it interesting that homeschooling in general seems to be undergoing yet another wave of change. I'm seeing more "cross-over" options for the increased numbers of people entering homeschooling because of dissatisfaction with local public school options. So, more online classes, "university model" options, and virtual charters. Do you think your area might be wanting to regulate all of the educational options under one set of standards?

If that's the case, I could understand offering an OPTIONAL "accredited" or state-issued diploma to those who CHOOSE to participate in following the requirements (more along the lines of PHAA, in my post above). But in that case it would not be pushed through as a law, or requiring everyone to follow it -- it would be an option you choose to follow and pay for the accreditation and guidelines.

Just thinking out loud, here...

Someone told me that maybe you can get a diploma in New York? The more I look at this law, the odder it seems.

I have lived in states where homeschoolers operate under umbrella schools. The umbrella can dictate which courses must be taken, but usually there are so many umbrellas to choose from that you can find one that meets your needs.

But, the closest we have come to telling what needs to be taught has been in terms of generic subjects like math, history, civics, etc.

I'm curious as to if private schools will be impacted by this legislation. Many times homeschoolers and private schools face common issues.

We are in a " highly"  regulated state but the state does not issue a diploma.

They do have a list of requirements but they are fairly loose  (ie.  social studies, not specific history or government courses).  They are also required each year.

They also have the state history requirement, but it is more of " state studies" , so things besides history count.  Ludicrous when you consider that our local public high school doesn't even offer any " state" anything courses, let alone require them.

Our end-of-year requirements would support the state issued a diploma, if they were so inclined (test, evaluation by an accredited teacher, or portfolio)

California issues state diplomas.  Most of the homeschoolers I personally know here, including myself got one. It's just a test you can take after 10th grade, covering English and math.  It's called the California High School Proficiency Exam.  It gives you a high school diploma that must be recognized as a valid diploma.  It's been around a looooooong time.

The state isn't a state, it's the District of Columbia. There are VERY few homeschoolers here. I'm one of the few. Our "statewide" group is basically just a couple of people who meet up and lobby the board of ed or the council when they try to include us when they shouldn't or exclude us when they shouldn't. We're not a super active group so I can't really leave this to anyone else to help take care of. HSLDA is apparently getting involved which... whatever. I think we're basically in agreement on this one, so any help they give I think will be okay in the end. I wasn't unhappy with how they handled our regulations when they first came in six years ago (before that there was no homeschool laws in DC at all).

This move is not spurred by colleges looking for diplomas, I'm sure. We do not have a real state university, in my opinion (UDC being a joke). There are many prestigious private universities here like Georgetown and American and GW, but I'm sure they don't give a carp and have their own requirements for homeschoolers.

We also have a loose list of required subjects currently: social studies, science, language arts, math, health, PE, and art must be taught every year. This would specify to a pretty specific extent what courses high schoolers must have. The whole social studies sequence is mapped out - you could rearrange the order, I guess, and could teach other options as electives. Students must have courses named algebra 1, geometry and algebra 2. You have to have three lab sciences. You have to teach a year of lab biology. It's just too specific for my taste. I don't like being told what my social studies courses would have to be, but otherwise, I don't mind most of it for my own family. However, what about a family with a kid with learning disabilities? There are provisions for LD kids in the law, but they're all based on public school accommodations that homeschoolers don't have access to. If you homeschool because you're sick of the whole IEP process, then why should you have to go back into it? And we don't have automatic access to the school testing or OT or speech therapy or things like that. And I just disagree that a high school program must have three lab sciences and algebra 2 to "count" as high school. Plus, there's no provisions in the law for how they're going to check this stuff.

Even if the diploma is an "option" and not a requirement (which is not 100% clear from the way the law is written) my worry is that colleges might be looking for if you "followed the homeschool laws of your state" and might want this. Or that nearby universities like UMD or Georgetown might be aware of it and require it even though they wouldn't care about it now. I don't know enough about the homeschool to college process to really have an informed opinion about that so much, but it concerns me.

I know that in some states you can take a "high school equivalency" sort of test like the GED or some others. This law has that option but also specifically names that homeschoolers who have followed this course of study will be eligible for diplomas from the state.

And this doesn't even get into the way that the regulation names the superintendent as the head of all homeschools. Or that we would be officially defined as "educational institutions" - which, what does that mean when there's a whole body of law about building codes and police checks for people in educational institutions? I think it's all very poorly considered and slapdash. 

I have lived in states where homeschoolers operate under umbrella schools. The umbrella can dictate which courses must be taken, but usually there are so many umbrellas to choose from that you can find one that meets your needs.

But, the closest we have come to telling what needs to be taught has been in terms of generic subjects like math, history, civics, etc.

I'm curious as to if private schools will be impacted by this legislation. Many times homeschoolers and private schools face common issues.

Yes, private schools are also named in this.

Yes, private schools are also named in this.

I would contact some of the powerhouse privates and ask if they are getting involved. We did have an issue one time that was pretty significant and it was defeated. Homeschoolers and private schools joined forces in lobbying. They have more $$ and typically already have legal counsel. having them on your side is not a bad thing.

I would contact some of the powerhouse privates and ask if they are getting involved. We did have an issue one time that was pretty significant and it was defeated. Homeschoolers and private schools joined forces in lobbying. They have more $$ and typically already have legal counsel. having them on your side is not a bad thing.

Yeah, we tried for a previous law and it didn't work so well. From my reading of this, private schools may already have to abide by these specific credits and this is just a small update for them like it is for the public schools... That did occur to me and I may see what can be done... They certainly have a lot more students than us and a lot more money and power.

NY actually has several other options for demonstrating high school "equivalency" than the GED or super's letter, but they do not issue a state diploma to homeschoolers.  The other options include 1) passing 5 regents exams, 2) completing an Associates degree, 3) completing 24 credits while in college in a broad range of subjects (which you do because you can enroll but not actually matriculate/graduate from a college without the 24 credits, which you would accumulate while in college during the first year or two while still non-matriculated), and 5) they do now accept some diplomas from distance schools in which homeschoolers can register, but they are *very*picky and *very* limited about which agencies accredit the distance schools whose diplomas they will accept.

ETA:  The hoops the New York homeschoolers have to jump through are put in place by the state education department, not by the individual colleges within NY.

I'm out west; neither my state nor the ones around me have state-awarded diplomas -- all low-regulation states here when it comes to homeschooling. I am not an expert on all the states' regulations regarding high school and homeschooling, BUT… from all the reading I've done on the WTM high school board, I believe the answer to your question is:

No. No state has an official state-issued diploma.

And honestly, there is no way a state really could in good conscious do this, unless they monitor and oversee the output and testing of high school homeschooling students to make sure they are accomplishing the credits required for a diploma. Because that is what the diploma is -- a document stating that the student's work has been verified and shown to have met the requirements for graduation.

Many states view homeschoolers as either private schools or similar to private schools, and so determining graduation requirements and granting diplomas is up to the homeschooler (or private school). There are a few states with some "twists" to the homeschooling diploma question:

- New York:

in order to attend a New York college, NY residents must have a state-issued diploma. BUT, NY homeschoolers are not eligible for state-issued diplomas, so they must provide one of the two state-approved substitutes: either 1) a GED, or 2) obtain a letter from the student's school district superintendent stating the student has received the substantial equivalent of a high school education. There is also the option of the New York State High School Equivalency Diploma (based on having earned 24 college credits) -- but frankly, I don't understand what this is or how one gets it. And, it is NOT awarded by the state, but by the GED testing office. So, no state-awarded diplomas to homeschoolers in NY.

- Pennsylvania

The PHAA (Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Accreditation Agency) provides accredited diplomas to homeschoolers, and those diplomas are recognized by the state of PA (however, "recognized" is different from being "issued" by the state). So, the option of an accredited diploma, but no state-issued diploma.

- South Carolina and Georgia

No state-issued diplomas here, but previously accredited diplomas were required for homeschool residents of those states to be eligible for special scholarships to those states' universities. I believe the regulations recently changed for both states, and it looks like the eligibility requirements for homeschoolers are now based on SAT scores...

Another related topic is that there is sometimes the need for an accredited diploma (which, actually, should be worded as "diploma from an accredited agency", but I digress ;) ). To receive an accredited diploma, a homeschooler pays an accredited umbrella school or agency to track and oversee credits and curriculum to make sure the accrediting organization's requirements for credits and curriculum have been met. The accredited agency then issues an accredited diploma.

Clonlara, Kolbe, and American School are examples of accredited organizations that can award accredited diplomas. Also, for those homeschoolers living in GA, there is the option of jumping hoops as a homeschooler and becoming accredited -- "Bev in B'ville ? about your accreditation" has more info on how to become an accredited homeschooler.

For more on "to accredit or not to accredit" (lol), see "Accreditation service, or just keep porfolio and transcript, or something else?". And there are more past threads on accreditation in the big pinned thread at the top of the high school board: "Transcripts, Credits… Accreditation… links to past threads here!" (The accreditation threads are grouped towards the bottom of post #1)

All of that is a lot of convoluted backstory to say: if your area is working towards state-issued diplomas, that actually seems like a big step *backwards* from the overall loosening of regulations by states, and general acceptance of homeschoolers and homeschool diplomas by universities. 

- Does this mean that the state will start requiring specific graduation requirements of homeschoolers, in order for them to receive the state-issued diplomas?

- How does the state plan to oversee the work of homeschool high school students to ensure they are accomplishing the required credits in order to earn the state-issued diploma?

- With virtually all colleges/universities on board with homeschooling and accepting homeschoolers, their transcripts, and their home-issued diplomas (with ACT/SAT or SATII or AP scores to back up "mommy grades"), what would be the need or benefit of a state-issued diploma?

As a homeschooler, keeping in mind those points, I'd be rapidly backing away from having anything to do with a state-issued diploma...

Well, in some of the high-regulation states homeschool high school students are required to take certain types of credits, but it does not have to be in a specific sequence, and you can still choose to use the materials you wish. So if you are following a classical chronological history cycle through high school, you just make sure you include some additional material along with your classical materials to cover the state history, or health, or whatever the required credits are.

Once you reach the high school years, you'll find that if the goal for your students is college-prep, or at least the option of college, you really DO need to complete certain amounts of credits to meet the *college* freshman admission requirements. So yes, even in low-regulation states, if you want to be eligible for college admission you find you ARE "required" to teach certain courses (but using your choice of materials and in your choice of sequence). It usually looks something like this, depending on the university:

4 credits = English

3-4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, a higher math with Alg. 2 as a pre-requisite)

2-4 credits = Science, with labs (often Biology and Chemistry are preferred)

2-3 credits = Social Studies (1 credit = American History; the other credits are often more flexible)

2-4 credits = Foreign Language (of the same language; some colleges require modern language and don't accept Latin)

1 credit = Fine Arts

4-8 credits = Electives

20-28 (or more) credits total

WTMer Barbara H has a great website for the high school years: Homeschool Success. Here is a chart of Homeschool High School Requirements, in which she lays out for you how many credits and of what types, AND what level of rigor, AND how many AP tests, to plan for depending on what type of college your student wants to shoot for. As you can see from her chart, it is college entry -- and the need for scholarships to pay for college, which comes from high ACT/SAT and AP test scores -- that starts dictating a lot of what you end up being "required" to do in your homeschool high school...

You might get more specific info on who requires what over on the high school board, where there are a few people who have had children admitted to prestigious universities and the service academies without any kind of accredited diploma.

In my letters, I'm pointing out that states don't do this and universities aren't looking for it. But neither is the military or businesses, right?

In my letters, I'm pointing out that states don't do this and universities aren't looking for it. But neither is the military or businesses, right?

Nope. The ONLY time I've ever seen anyone requiring a state-issued diploma are the NY colleges -- BUT, they have alternate homeschool work-around options.

The military accepts homeschool parent-issued diplomas. You do NOT need state-issued or accredited diplomas, and you want to AVOID the GED. (See this past thread, "Joining the military and a homeschool high school diploma" for more details.)

There are a few situations where an ACCREDITED diploma is either required or highly encouraged:

A few universities and a number of cosmetology schools require an "accredited" diploma -- but that is NOT the same thing as a state-issued diploma. For one thing, not all public high schools issuing diplomas are accredited schools, so the diplomas they issue are not accredited. (The cosmetology schools require either a GED or an accredited diploma because they want to avoid being "drop out" magnets or alternatives. But again, they are NOT requiring state-issued diplomas, but accredited diplomas.)

An accredited diploma can be more helpful for a smooth/quick transition into an international university or program.

I can't think of any instances posted on these boards where a business required an accredited diploma...

NY actually has several other options for demonstrating high school "equivalency" than the GED or super's letter, but they do not issue a state diploma to homeschoolers.  The other options include 1) passing 5 regents exams, 2) completing an Associates degree, 3) completing 24 credits while in college in a broad range of subjects (which you do because you can enroll but not actually matriculate/graduate from a college without the 24 credits, which you would accumulate while in college during the first year or two while still non-matriculated), and 5) they do now accept some diplomas from distance schools in which homeschoolers can register, but they are *very*picky and *very* limited about which agencies accredit the distance schools whose diplomas they will accept.

ETA:  The hoops the New York homeschoolers have to jump through are put in place by the state education department, not by the individual colleges within NY.

Thank you! :)

Is this the proposed new regulation that you are referring to?  If so, it seems like a means to control homeschoolers in exchange for an "accredited" diploma.

I got this from the HSLDA website:

Power Grab—State Superintendent to be Made “Head†of Every Homeschool

The Office of the State Superintendent of Education in the District of Columbia has issued new regulations that would make the state superintendent the defined “head†of every homeschool.

The regulations which purport to create new graduation requirements for district public and private schools also include homeschools. The rules declare that starting with the class of 2016 all students must earn 24 credits in order to receive a state-issued diploma. The regulations essentially require that every student in the district receive a college prep program even if such a program isn’t appropriate for every student.

Homeschool parents and advocates are unhappy with the new rules. They are especially disappointed that they were not consulted during the development process. Although the office of the state superintendent says that, “in developing the regulations, OSSE and SBOE engaged in an extensive period of public engagement and solicitation of public comments,†this does not to appear to have actually happened.

California issues state diplomas.  Most of the homeschoolers I personally know here, including myself got one. It's just a test you can take after 10th grade, covering English and math.  It's called the California High School Proficiency Exam.  It gives you a high school diploma that must be recognized as a valid diploma.  It's been around a looooooong time.

That is not a diploma. It is the *equivalent* of a high school diploma; students who pass are issued "Certificates of Proficiency," not a diploma, and a student who passes it is exempt from school attendance *if* he has his parents' permission.

The state does NOT issue diplomas to private school students, which is what homeschoolers are. It does NOT issue diplomas to students who complete the course of study required by their schools, which is what most people mean when they ask if there are state-issued diplomas. The parents of homeschoolers who take and pass the CHSPE should issue diplomas to them.

The CHSPE is not required for admittance to the community colleges or to UC or CalState.

Yes, that's the one. The proposal is already being changed though to respond to at least some of what we're asking. The HSLDA thing is a little misleading (surprise!) because it seems to imply this already happened. The public comment period and the SBOE meeting that will discuss it haven't even ended or happened yet. And from talking to them, it seems the SBOE people wanted to include homeschoolers in large part because they have this new competency based credit thing coming in...

Anyway, I'm less worried now. Still concerned, but less so...

Is this the proposed new regulation that you are referring to?  If so, it seems like a means to control homeschoolers in exchange for an "accredited" diploma.

I got this from the HSLDA website:

Power Grab—State Superintendent to be Made “Head†of Every Homeschool

The Office of the State Superintendent of Education in the District of Columbia has issued new regulations that would make the state superintendent the defined “head†of every homeschool.

The regulations which purport to create new graduation requirements for district public and private schools also include homeschools. The rules declare that starting with the class of 2016 all students must earn 24 credits in order to receive a state-issued diploma. The regulations essentially require that every student in the district receive a college prep program even if such a program isn’t appropriate for every student.

Homeschool parents and advocates are unhappy with the new rules. They are especially disappointed that they were not consulted during the development process. Although the office of the state superintendent says that, “in developing the regulations, OSSE and SBOE engaged in an extensive period of public engagement and solicitation of public comments,†this does not to appear to have actually happened.

Well, that's good it hasn't passed and has been modified.  I would be wary of anything that has language in it that allows the super to be the head of a homeschool.

Yes, that's the one. The proposal is already being changed though to respond to at least some of what we're asking. The HSLDA thing is a little misleading (surprise!) because it seems to imply this already happened. The public comment period and the SBOE meeting that will discuss it haven't even ended or happened yet. And from talking to them, it seems the SBOE people wanted to include homeschoolers in large part because they have this new competency based credit thing coming in...

Anyway, I'm less worried now. Still concerned, but less so...

That is not a diploma. It is the *equivalent* of a high school diploma; students who pass are issued "Certificates of Proficiency," not a diploma, and a student who passes it is exempt from school attendance *if* he has his parents' permission.

The state does NOT issue diplomas to private school students, which is what homeschoolers are. It does NOT issue diplomas to students who complete the course of study required by their schools, which is what most people mean when they ask if there are state-issued diplomas. The parents of homeschoolers who take and pass the CHSPE should issue diplomas to them.

The CHSPE is not required for admittance to the community colleges or to UC or CalState.

Thank you for this clarification, Ellie. You're right, the CHSPE is certainly a much different scenario than issuing a diploma for a certain course of study to private/homeschoolers.  Because of this statement on their website, I had always thought of the CHSPE as being a diploma.  

" The U.S. Department of Education and Federal Student Aid recognizes the CHSPE as the equivalent of a high school diploma in applications for federal financial aid. All persons and institutions subject to California law that require a high school diploma for any purpose must accept the certificate as satisfying the requirement. "

Thank you for this clarification, Ellie. You're right, the CHSPE is certainly a much different scenario than issuing a diploma for a certain course of study to private/homeschoolers.  Because of this statement on their website, I had always thought of the CHSPE as being a diploma.  

" The U.S. Department of Education and Federal Student Aid recognizes the CHSPE as the equivalent of a high school diploma in applications for federal financial aid. All persons and institutions subject to California law that require a high school diploma for any purpose must accept the certificate as satisfying the requirement. "

Yes, I understand. :-)

It is important, though, to understand that it is a certificate of proficiency, not a diploma. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

- Pennsylvania

The PHAA (Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Accreditation Agency) provides accredited diplomas to homeschoolers, and those diplomas are recognized by the state of PA (however, "recognized" is different from being "issued" by the state). So, the option of an accredited diploma, but no state-issued diploma.

Well, I know that PA is always confusing, but this is absolutely not true.  Sorry.  There are currently 10 associations that sell state "recognized" homeschool diplomas.  PHAA is only one of them. NONE of them are accredited, no matter what someone fraudulently calls their business.  These diplomas are ONE way for proof of graduation for state college aid.  There are other ways.

HOWEVER, we recently passed a new homeschool law (Oct 31, 2014).  Part of the new law has to do with parent issued diplomas.  They now may get all of the rights of a public school diploma.  I know a lot about this because I wrote this part of the law, modeling it after a change to the TN homeschool laws in 2009.

The new law gives a parent issued diploma all of the rights and privileges.  The supervisor (legal name for parent or guardian) must get a standardized form from the PA Dept of Ed and then the 12th grade evaluator signs it.

Hereis a link to the bill and language...

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billInfo/billInfo.cfm?sYear=2013&sInd=0&body=H&type=B&bn=1013

Well, I know that PA is always confusing, but this is absolutely not true.  Sorry.  There are currently 10 associations that sell state "recognized" homeschool diplomas.  PHAA is only one of them. NONE of them are accredited, no matter what someone fraudulently calls their business.  These diplomas are ONE way for proof of graduation for state college aid.  There are other ways.

HOWEVER, we recently passed a new homeschool law (Oct 31, 2014).  Part of the new law has to do with parent issued diplomas.  They now may get all of the rights of a public school diploma.  I know a lot about this because I wrote this part of the law, modeling it after a change to the TN homeschool laws in 2009.

The new law gives a parent issued diploma all of the rights and privileges.  The supervisor (legal name for parent or guardian) must get a standardized form from the PA Dept of Ed and then the 12th grade evaluator signs it.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billInfo/billInfo.cfm?sYear=2013&sInd=0&body=H&type=B&bn=1013

:iagree:

I was just about to say the same stuff. :coolgleamA:  (except I didn't help write the new law.)

Thanks so much Maryalice for posting the correct info -- I am not a PA resident, and was going by the PHAA website information. I am frustrated that they advertise info that is not accurate. :(