Menu

High School science for a VSL (2e)

I am trying to figure out our high school plan for oldest DS.   I am stumped on science because his unique learning style- insanely visual spatial (tested off the charts).   He loves science, but I have never been able to use a curriculum with him.  He is too 'whole to parts'.   Learning about small concepts that build upon the whole picture drives him crazy and cause him to shut down.   He is very bright- very high IQ and tested at the grad school level for all subjects except language arts (he has dyslexia and dysgraphia).  What has worked best in the past, is for him to watch science videos or read short articles, or talk to a chemistry teacher friend of ours.  

I know we need to bump it up for high school, but I have no idea where to look.  Our last attempt was Exploration Education, which he did for a couple weeks before he started detesting it.  

I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback.  

ETA: He wants to go into a STEM field.  Some careers he is considering: computers, engineering or architect.

Are there any local hands-on classes he could take to go along with the videos and short articles?  That won't take care of everything but it might help some.  Landry Academy does an entire year's worth of science labs over two days.   Maybe something like that would work?  I can't recall, are you in the States?  Landry does lab instruction all over the U.S.   It is Christian based in case that is a problem.

DD is sort of in the same boat.  She needs the big picture.  Little pieces building up to a bigger picture over time drives her crazy with regards to science and history.  In fact, she shuts down completely.  Brain locks up and no content gets in.  But she isn't functioning at the level your child is and she does not have any interest in a STEM field.  Hopefully someone else will come along with a good solid suggestion or two.

Best wishes and good luck.

My crazy smart 2e VSL student is tough to teach science to for just the reasons you listed. He is really enjoying Teaching Company videos. I'm tempted to let hm explore science in a non-traditioal way. He'll still learn lots of the basics, but will learn much more if I just let him learn. He's getting better at traditional textbook learning as he gets older, but it is not his style.

Thanks for the information on Landry Academy.  That looks like something he would really like.

I will have to go re-read Lewelma's posts.  I have read them before, but don't remember now.

A Science Project could be fun, if he found a topic he was interested in.  He does not like biology or physical science, so his Freshman year may be challenging.  He loves chemistry and physics, though. 

I've used the American Chemical Society's "Middle School Chemistry" before and it is SO awesome. Maybe your son could do the activities to get the basics, and then go beyond the lessons with his own research. http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

Maybe he could get into making YouTube videos or even start his own blog or website with science information for teens, with videos of experiments and such? A new Bill Nye the Science Guy?

I've used the American Chemical Society's "Middle School Chemistry" before and it is SO awesome. Maybe your son could do the activities to get the basics, and then go beyond the lessons with his own research. http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

Maybe he could get into making YouTube videos or even start his own blog or website with science information for teens, with videos of experiments and such? A new Bill Nye the Science Guy?

Great idea, I could see him excited about making YouTube videos!  He loves watching videos by Bill Nye and Steve Spangler.  

What about Spectrum Chemistry? It is extremely hands on with most of the learning done through the labs. I would say it is very whole to parts. I haven't used it because mine learn better by reading or by me reading (one of each) rather than having any hands on involved, but I'd definitely put it on your list to consider.

I can't think of a Biology that works that way, although it is a very visual subject.

You might look into Kinetic books physics. They are very homeschool unfriendly these days, but the online learning with lots of video and graphics might just give him enough big picture to work.

OP, does your DS use mind mapping software such as Inspiration or XMind for note taking/study or Quizlet for study? Have you taught him yet how to read and study from a non-fiction text? If not, maybe check out text mapping. Does he type?

I have found that mind mapping enables DS to see the big picture with science and history. Text mapping enables him to grasp the structure and layout of a book so that he can use a non-fiction text better. Quizlet enables him to review terms efficiently and bypasses the handwriting issues.

We started the school year with Dive Biology. DS would use Google iSpeak's function and read/watch videos on-line. Dive Biology felt too disjointed for the both of us, so I signed him up 4 weeks late into an Apologia Biology course ran by our homeschool cover. A friend loaned us the audio book and multimedia companion CD. DS sits in a class for two hours weekly and loves biology now. Next month, he will attend a Landry two day lab intensive. I consider the biology class as a safe test case for college. DS takes his own notes and completes his own homework. We are exploring how he learns best and what may not work.

I mention all of these things because your DS wants to attend college.

Edited by Heathermomster

I'm going to try the HS Quirks and Quarks Biology next year with my VSL. https://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/

Their spine, Exploring the Way Life Works: The Science of Biology seems very big picture, notice all the patterns, kind of thing to me, which should be a good fit.

If that ends up flopping (although I don't think it will, I think it will work), my backup plan is the git'er done Principles, Theories and Precepts of Biology by Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum that timberdoodle.com sells, plus maybe their Biology video and some 3D models.

Their spine, Exploring the Way Life Works: The Science of Biology seems very big picture, notice all the patterns, kind of thing to me, which should be a good fit.

Just a note, that spine is 14 years old. Biology has unfortunately changed a lot in that time. I really wanted to use that book a few years back with my non-sciencey ds, but I considered it just too out of date even then. I wish they'd do a new version.