Menu

Math and Science in TN

For those who live in TN, I am looking at the graduation requirements and under math it says, Algebra I, Algebra II. Geometry, and another higher math course.  Does this mean that calculus is required?  What if a student is not math minded and started with pre-Algebra?  

For science it says Biology, Chemistry, or Physics, so I assume it means any of these or some other science class like astronomy?  Again what if the student is not science minded and Physics is out of the question.

If you are with a cover school, always double check with them.  

Here are course options and titles that my cover school suggests

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/highschool/Default.aspx?id=15

no, it does not have to be calculus for the 4th year.  It can be Advanced Math (such as Saxon), or Pre Calc, or some others.

I think (reserving the right to be mistaken) public school students who started in pre alg can take a course like Bridge Math. They get the "take 4 math classes".

Physics is not required (if one has taken chemistry).

but a 3rd lab course is.   Some people will do an Anatomy and Physiology.  Some do Environmental Science.  If you do astronomy, make it a lab course.

I've lived in TN for 5 years.  It think it happened while we lived here.  I remember local people talking about it being "new" requirement and I knew my dd's graduating class was with that recommendation.  My cover school changed it about then  (but I think you were asking rhetorically.  ;)

If the student started with pre-algebra, they can double up (algebra 2/geometry in same year) or use summers to get credits.

In this case, options for a fourth year include:

precalc

AP stats or stats at a CC

Math for liberal arts, at home with something like Jacobs MHE or at a CC.

For those who live in TN, I am looking at the graduation requirements and under math it says, Algebra I, Algebra II. Geometry, and another higher math course.  Does this mean that calculus is required?  What if a student is not math minded and started with pre-Algebra?  

For science it says Biology, Chemistry, or Physics, so I assume it means any of these or some other science class like astronomy?  Again what if the student is not science minded and Physics is out of the question.

Hi Peri,

I agree with Crystal. The first thing you should do is check with your cover, or umbrella, school. Different cover schools interpret the graduation requirements differently. 

These new requirements began in 2009, but the graduating class of 2013 was the first class that had to meet them.

For math, the requirement according to TN's education website (http://www.tn.gov/education/instruction/graduation.shtml) is FOUR years of math in high school beginning with the Algebra I credit. Pre-algebra is not considered a high school credit. If the student takes Algebra I in 8th grade, then he or she must still take 4 more years of math. There are other higher level math courses available...like statistics or "discrete" math, so all students do not have to take calculus. However, most do take pre-calculus or its equivalent (college algebra + trig). At one point, the TN website indicated that the 4th math course would be determined by the student's math ACT score, but I do not see that information anymore. 

For science, the correct reading of the requirements is biology. Then chemistry OR physics. Then a 3rd lab course. In other words, three lab courses with one of them being biology, one of them chemistry or physics, and the third is up to you. So no, your student does not have to take physics although he or she may consider taking conceptual physics (without any math). And yes, that 3rd science may be a course like astronomy...as long as it includes a lab component.

I hope that helps. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions or send me a private message if you need more information.

My oldest satisfied the 4th math credit by taking Statistics as a DE student.  (Alg. I, Geometry, Alg. II, Statistics).  One of my twins will do the same, the other will take a pre-calc/trig course as she is headed into a STEM major in college.  

The third lab science is also very flexible.  My oldest did Anatomy.  One dd is doing Marine Biology.  The other is doing Forensic Science.  

Yes, Alg 1, Alg 2, Geometry and higher math.  My less math minded kid is starting with Alg 1 in 9th and will likely take statistics in 12th.  Another option I have seen for the less math minded is to take that 4th year at cc.  There are plenty of choices at our local cc that are not extremely difficult but would count as a higher math because it is a college course.  I think they all list Alg 2 as a pre req so they would be a higher math but I don't think they are all difficult.  I am thinking I know kids who have taken "Intro to College Math" or similar courses that really were not too difficult. 

As far as science, my 9th grade really wasn't ready for biology so he took physical science this year. Our umbrella school does count that as a lab science but I hear there is some disagreement about that and that colleges don't always consider it a lab science.  I am not too worried as I plan on mine to get to physics in 12th grade.  Another option for lab sciences is, again, the community college.  They have a variety of sciences with a lab component such as geology,ecology, etc.  My other ds is taking AP Environmental Science as a lab science this year. 

And yes, kids double up.  Block scheduling is common in the schools and that makes doubling up easier.  CC is popular for homeschoolers which also makes getting those credits in easier. 

and emphasizing to check with your cover school for what they will recognize.   (as private schools they don't have to the do state way).

I realize on this forum most students are college bound, but in case there's someone reading who has a student who is not college bound, some cover schools do offer a diploma for that track. And while it's still 4 math classes, it doesn't have to mean Alg 1 in 9th.