Menu

E-meals? Similar services?

anmom

Are you or anyone in your family a picky eater?  I ask because even though all my emeals recipes are ok, I hardly ever use them because someone won't eat it.  I have a subscription to the simple gourmet plan and the healthy lunch plan, bought at a discount through Groupon.  We have found a few real winners, but it is definitely not a perfect solution for us.  I think if everyone in your family is willing and able to try new things, you would probably love it.

I do, but it's a plant based eating meal plan, so it's not everyone's cup of tea! They are gluten and dairy free though. I love it - I don't use every meal, but anywhere from 60-75% of them and it helps keep us on track to always have healthy meals/snacks in the house.

I currently have a subscription, but won't be renewing it.  What I love is the grocery list made for me and the meals are simple to put together.  Using EMeals saved me time.  What I don't like is the variety.  After having it for some time now it seems the recipes are very similar or repeat to frequently for our tastes.  Some meals are a hit some, not so much.  I would say if you don't have picky eaters and don't mind eating similar foods each week, it is a good option.

I currently have a subscription, but won't be renewing it. What I love is the grocery list made for me and the meals are simple to put together. Using EMeals saved me time. What I don't like is the variety. After having it for some time now it seems the recipes are very similar or repeat to frequently for our tastes. Some meals are a hit some, not so much. I would say if you don't have picky eaters and don't mind eating similar foods each week, it is a good option.

Which plan did you subscribe? I subscribed to the paleo plan and it doesn't seem like the same stuff at all. I was actually thinking it was almost too different. Maybe its just me.

We aren't a picky family but I'm wondering if this will be worth keeping after the first month. Are there any better plans out there that accommodate food allergies.

I just feel like unless we eat the same things over and over, meal planning takes me way too long. For most people that isn't a problem but for me it can be. I've liked the variety so far with emeals, but it is still a little different than we usually eat, if that makes sense.

Are you or anyone in your family a picky eater?  I ask because even though all my emeals recipes are ok, I hardly ever use them because someone won't eat it.  I have a subscription to the simple gourmet plan and the healthy lunch plan, bought at a discount through Groupon.  We have found a few real winners, but it is definitely not a perfect solution for us.  I think if everyone in your family is willing and able to try new things, you would probably love it.

That was my problem with e-meals.  They don't give choices.  I found I had to change things so much it wasn't worth it.

I did Saving Dinner for six months and DH LOVED it, because he never knew what would be for dinner when he got home because it was not my normal rotation of recipes and it made his life more exciting, lol. The good thing about it was that I never would have fixed Asian food at home but there were Asian recipes and I learned how to make them. Now that I have a restaurant I can make KILLER Asian with a deep fryer and a grill. But I wouldn't be able to do it if I hadn't spent years perfecting how my family likes their sauces. Sauces are everything, lol.

We did a three-month subscription to e-meals when my husband went low-carb, because I wanted an easy way to build up a repertoire of recipes. Later we did a three-month of their clean eating plan. We found it useful, particularly not having to decide what to make and having the shopping list made for you. However, we were like other posters in that we changed certain things or skipped some recipes, often because of the cost of the ingredients. For example, we often wouldn't do their fish recipe or would change the type of fish due to cost. There are several favorite recipes we still go back to that I never would have made if I'd read the recipe in a cookbook. It helped expand our view. If you wanted to spice up your repertoire, you might do a short subscription, then put your favorites into your regular rotation.

Now we use Plan to Eat to help with planning and for making the shopping list. You type in or import whatever recipes you want to use (we have our e-meals favorites inputted).

Erica in OR

I know a few people that use Blue Apron and they like it.  They send  you all the ingredients needed for each meal, and it's shipped in containers that keep it cold/fresh.  Not sure what price you are looking at though, and not sure how gluten free friendly it is. 

I've really enjoyed Fresh20 when I've used it. (Enough that I've purchased it more than once, though I don't have a subscription right now.) They do have a gluten-free plan. Fresh20 is the only one I've seen that comes even close to how I cook normally - focus on whole foods, lots of veggies, and seasonal.

Which plan did you subscribe? I subscribed to the paleo plan and it doesn't seem like the same stuff at all. I was actually thinking it was almost too different. Maybe its just me.

We aren't a picky family but I'm wondering if this will be worth keeping after the first month. Are there any better plans out there that accommodate food allergies.

I just feel like unless we eat the same things over and over, meal planning takes me way too long. For most people that isn't a problem but for me it can be. I've liked the variety so far with emeals, but it is still a little different than we usually eat, if that makes sense.

We subscribe to  the comfort food plan and bought a year package.  We don't mind similar recipes, just not the very next week.  Hmmm, now I'm wondering if we should try a different meal plan?  I also should mention that each week it includes breakfast for dinner & a night of fish.  I'm the only one who eats fish so this meal doesn't work for us and my dh is not a breakfast for dinner fan.   I'm listening in to see if any other services are recommended.  I love the concept of E-meals, however, it's not a good fit for our family.