Menu

Rejected/Accepted/Rejected

Penguin

Johns Hopkins sent already-rejected ED students an acceptance email...and then pulled it, including an apology for the mistake.  Ouch.

According to the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/johns-hopkins-mistakenly-says-yes-to-hundreds-of-rejected-applicants/2014/12/16/20b5f9f4-8575-11e4-b9b7-b8632ae73d25_story.html?tid=sm_fb

Well, that just stinks.  But DH and I have seen some real dooseys with business e-mails, too.  In this age of instant communication, I think offices, whether a standard business office or a college admissions office, or whatever, are going to eventually have to put in some sort of gate system, where large, really important emails such as admissions/rejection to a college, are automatically flagged for being reviewed carefully before that "send" button actually works.

• 2 weeks later...

We thought we might have had a situation like that earlier this week.  My ds wants to go to a military academy, and so he has applied for all the nomination sources he could.  He got a Presidential nomination because of Dh's service, but he also applied to our representative, plus the 2 senators, even though we didn't really expect him to get a nom. from them, knowing that we are in a really competitive area (Northern VA), and they all knew he had the Presidential nominations already.  But he did get a nomination in early Dec. from our representative.  We were so thrilled!  No expectation of any nomination from a senator at all, since we have heard from everyone under the sun that VA congressmen talk and do not duplicate nominations.  So no surprise when the rejection letter came from one senator. 

But then on Monday, we got an email from the other senator's office, telling ds congratulations, he was being offered a nomination, and he should have a received a letter dated Dec. 16 telling him this.  They needed his response, since they hadn't heard from him.  We were so surprised!  I immediately thought of this situation and assumed the office had mixed up their email lists, especially since we had never received any such letter.  It wasn't devastating to my son, since he had other noms, but for someone who hadn't gotten another nom and was still holding out hope, that would be so devastating to get a mistake email! 

Ds called his ALO, who told him to email back saying thanks, but making sure they knew he had been offered a nomination from our representative as well.  So ds did that, but the office wrote back saying the nomination was still his.  And then the next day the original letter arrived in our mailbox, dated Dec. 16, so the email was definitely not a mistake.  It took almost 2 weeks for the letter to get from Richmond up to Northern VA!

So now ds has 3 nominations, and a mildly guilty feeling that he is stealing opportunity from some other worthy VA person.  I told him that the congressmen are big boys, and they can pick who they want--it isn't up to ds to "correct" them or anything.  He didn't do anything wrong and so shouldn't feel guilty!  It is just weird that something so rare that everyone pretty much accepts it as gospel truth--"VA congressmen do not duplicate nominations"--would have an exception for my son, you know?! 

We thought we might have had a situation like that earlier this week.  My ds wants to go to a military academy, and so he has applied for all the nomination sources he could.  He got a Presidential nomination because of Dh's service, but he also applied to our representative, plus the 2 senators, even though we didn't really expect him to get a nom. from them, knowing that we are in a really competitive area (Northern VA), and they all knew he had the Presidential nominations already.  But he did get a nomination in early Dec. from our representative.  We were so thrilled!  No expectation of any nomination from a senator at all, since we have heard from everyone under the sun that VA congressmen talk and do not duplicate nominations.  So no surprise when the rejection letter came from one senator. 

But then on Monday, we got an email from the other senator's office, telling ds congratulations, he was being offered a nomination, and he should have a received a letter dated Dec. 16 telling him this.  They needed his response, since they hadn't heard from him.  We were so surprised!  I immediately thought of this situation and assumed the office had mixed up their email lists, especially since we had never received any such letter.  It wasn't devastating to my son, since he had other noms, but for someone who hadn't gotten another nom and was still holding out hope, that would be so devastating to get a mistake email! 

Ds called his ALO, who told him to email back saying thanks, but making sure they knew he had been offered a nomination from our representative as well.  So ds did that, but the office wrote back saying the nomination was still his.  And then the next day the original letter arrived in our mailbox, dated Dec. 16, so the email was definitely not a mistake.  It took almost 2 weeks for the letter to get from Richmond up to Northern VA!

So now ds has 3 nominations, and a mildly guilty feeling that he is stealing opportunity from some other worthy VA person.  I told him that the congressmen are big boys, and they can pick who they want--it isn't up to ds to "correct" them or anything.  He didn't do anything wrong and so shouldn't feel guilty!  It is just weird that something so rare that everyone pretty much accepts it as gospel truth--"VA congressmen do not duplicate nominations"--would have an exception for my son, you know?! 

Your son must be a pretty impressive candidate! Congratulations on the nominations.