Menu

What do you have your kids do when you are sick?

MSNative

I've been sick for a few weeks- pneumonia, sinus infection and bronchitis - whee! Lol. My kids are doing their schoolwork, reading and playing outside but then I confess, I've let them go onto screens for wayyyyy to much time. I need new ideas. What do you give you kids to do that is fun, somewhat educational and doesn't require much parental involvement? Bonus points if it counts as something holiday related.

(I homeschool two of my boys- ages 13 and 7.)

My kids wouldn't find all of this fun necessarily, but:

Documentaries

Read from different genres

Work through their memory work boxes

Mad Libs (would be every so slightly educational for a 7 yo depending on where they are at with grammar knowledge). They could write their own (13 yo could write them for the 7 yo) to increase the challenge.

Practice their recorder (they took a co-op class years ago but revisit the songs they learned periodically)

Listen to audiobooks

play various card games (depending on the game this could be educational for the 7 yo).  We have games like "go fish" with impressionist artists

Work on an art project

play educational board games (Great States Jr. for the 7 yo, 24, that type of thing?)

Mind Benders or logic workbooks

snap circuits

making a model of something

read a book and do a little presentation, report, some sort of output

research a favorite animal or country.

Write a report about a holiday from another country or culture, or a religion they don't know much about.

watch Khan Academy videos about different artists (some have content you may or may not be comfortable with)

Work through a book like Art Fraud Detective (13 and 7 yo could theoretically do this together)

Work on typing/keyboarding skills

Scratch or other programming

feel better soon!

It wasn't me who was sick, it was the girls, but we did lots of reading, lots of free writing, lots of "educational" videos, lots of art. And math. Math every day no matter what. Lots of math, because math is important.

I hope you feel better soon, and get better advice than I know how to give.

I'm going to be honest and tell you what they'd really be doing not what I'd like to think they'd be doing.

Watching TV, playing video games, doing their math, playing board games, surfing the net, making a mess, doing spelling (mom, I can't understand you, what's the next word?) cleaning up their mess and mine.  They'd also be getting me; medicine, blankets, drinks, food, toilet paper, a new trash bag (thank you for removing the full one), a cold washcloth, a hot water bottle, my fuzzy socks, another pillow, the phone I left in the bathroom, where's my ipad charger..... yep I'm a big baby. I'd probably get them to watch something like Your Inner Fish or Mythbusters (for the 20th time) maybe some  Youtube videos about History.... we love the Barbarian series. 

I would like them to research the history of Christmas Ornaments and then using the gazillion crafty things we have to make some for our barren tree.  Being boys (yours) I would encourage Camouflage ones that could be hidden in the tree and only seen at night when the lights are on, that could be fun and time consuming but messy. 

Hope you feel better soon.

I'm going to be honest and tell you what they'd really be doing not what I'd like to think they'd be doing.

Watching TV, playing video games, doing their math, playing board games, surfing the net, making a mess, doing spelling (mom, I can't understand you, what's the next word?) cleaning up their mess and mine. They'd also be getting me; medicine, blankets, drinks, food, toilet paper, a new trash bag (thank you for removing the full one), a cold washcloth, a hot water bottle, my fuzzy socks, another pillow, the phone I left in the bathroom, where's my ipad charger..... yep I'm a big baby. I'd probably get them to watch something like Your Inner Fish or Mythbusters (for the 20th time) maybe some Youtube videos about History.... we love the Barbarian series.

I would like them to research the history of Christmas Ornaments and then using the gazillion crafty things we have to make some for our barren tree. Being boys (yours) I would encourage Camouflage ones that could be hidden in the tree and only seen at night when the lights are on, that could be fun and time consuming but messy.

Hope you feel better soon.

Camo ornament!! Love it!!