Menu

Cleaning Le Creuset

HRAAB

The other night my dd turned on the wrong burner to heat water for tea and then forgot about it until she noticed an odd smell. My large Le Creuset full of split pea soup was on the burner. I've tried cleaning it with dish soap and a plastic scrubby. That didn't do much. I'm thinking of trying baking soda. I don't want to scratch the enamel. Any other ideas?

Spy Car just posted a thread about this the other day.  A cup or so of hydrogen peroxide and a "good slug" of baking soda.  Boil for awhile then scrub a little bit again.  Said it worked wonders. 

Heh, heh.

Good timing, eh?

i "saved" an enameled cast-iron pot that was a complete disaster. Days of soaking, boiling, scrubbing had no effect. It was the worst burnt crust ever. Horrible. My fault.

Boiling peroxide and baking soda together until basically gone lifted the crust easily. My pot took 4 repetitions to get it all off. But it all lifted, and there really wasn't any scrubbing necessary.

Bill

I'm curious to hear how it goes.

Bill

I've tried it one time, and already the pan is looking better. I need to try it again, but I ran out of soda and forgot to buy any today. Much of the black has disappeared or lessened. One thing I've noticed is the bottom feels a little rough, not smooth like the sides.

I think you've saved my pot, and my dd is very grateful.

I've tried it one time, and already the pan is looking better. I need to try it again, but I ran out of soda and forgot to buy any today. Much of the black has disappeared or lessened. One thing I've noticed is the bottom feels a little rough, not smooth like the sides.

I think you've saved my pot, and my dd is very grateful.

Glad to know!

It can be a multi-stage process. It should get better every boiling pass.

Bill