Menu

Latin Course

Song School Latin is more engaging than LC, which is good for kids who need those sorts of things. SSL1 may be too "young" for a 9yo though. The 9yo could maybe join in on SSL with the 7yo, and also do LfCA on her own. There's a bit of overlap between the programs.

Are you wanting ecclesiastical latin only, or are you also open to classical latin programs? That will determine what other programs will be a good fit.

My method was not the best course of action, but it is working.  We did Prima and the kids loved it, then we skipped a year and started on FFL.  DS is halfway through SFL and DD moved on to Italian for High School.  Ds is going to stick with Latin through Fourth Form and probably at least one additional year.  Could you spend two years doing FFL? 

Song School Latin 1 would be a step backward from what you're doing. I'd start with Song School Latin 2, or even Minimus (not from CAP) if they're not ready for Latin for Children. The older could probably start LFC A just fine, but it may be too challenging for the younger one.

SSL1 is great fun for us as a family (dh included). My kids started out thinking it was cool to have our own secret language. It sets a great fun mood to our hsing this year. We will definitely be getting SSL2 for next year. My DH and I like the derivative river.

I haven't seen SSL2 yet, besides samples on the website.  Based on SSL1 thought, my boys are doing it two times a week and will finish in less than half a year. It's easy and we play games and speak it everyday. Your younger might like it if your focus this year is reading or math and this is just a fun extra. But as a serious "I want my money's worth" person, I would choose SSL2 at least.

Song school would be fine for your 7 year old but your 9 year old would probably be more challenged by Latin For Children. All the work in the song school books is also geared toward a younger child (wide line spacing for writing practice, things like that. Since you've already been through Prima they might both be able to jump to Latin For Children, but it might be a bit much for a 7 year old.

That's interesting that they were fine with Prima but didn't like Latina Christiana. They are very similar programs. Was there something specific they didn't like about it? That may help as you choose a new program.

That's interesting that they were fine with Prima but didn't like Latina Christiana. They are very similar programs. Was there something specific they didn't like about it? That may help as you choose a new program.

:iagree:  Is there a specific reason they don't like it? The beginning part of LC is review of PL. There is more vocab and the grammar ideas are hit harder, IMO, but the beginning is super easy for kids who went through PL. Memoria Press's programs aren't considered "fun" but they do get the job done. 

My kids disliked the video component to LC (and PL), but I needed it the first time through. I am not using it this time through.

Song School Latin 1 would be a step backward from what you're doing. I'd start with Song School Latin 2, or even Minimus (not from CAP) if they're not ready for Latin for Children. The older could probably start LFC A just fine, but it may be too challenging for the younger one.

SSL2 expects the student to know a lot of the vocab in SSL1, though. I'm not sure if PL covers all those words.

The video does not hold their attention and I think the grammar portion is more difficult than they expected. Maybe I will use SSL with my younger two when the time comes.

If they just need more support with the video you could try out these free student note pages. I believe they are designed for the student to fill out while watching the video lesson.