Menu

BJU Science for 6th-8th: Should we buy 6th or Life for DS12?

DS12 needs a lot more in his schooling. We are enjoying MFW but the science is far too light for his learning level. This DS isn't passionate about science but *I* want him to really step up in all areas of his schooling. I'd like him to read interesting and challenging material and do meaningful work alongside.  I also need help as I don't have time to add any more "teaching at the elbow".

I've had my eye on BJU for a long time but hesitated to buy due to the cost and the rigor of 7th+. They usually offer a distance learning special right around the new year (maybe even this month) and so I want to decide right now what I would purchase.

As my DS is currently a 6th grader (though he is now 12) is it too juvenile to choose 6th grade for him? I'd like him to enjoy the learning and work! Or, is Life Science accessible to him? He would NOT like to do any dissections at this point so do you any recommendations as far as the hands on aspects go? Would he be fine watching but not doing if in Life? If he isn't passionate about science is BJU too much? He'd be using this science over the remainder of 6th grade and partway into 7th. 

If we choose the special then do we purchase the books on our own? From where do you recommend we purchase those? Will the website clearly direct me so I end up with the correct version books to match the class?

So, I'm replying to myself here. CBD has samples of the student activity manuals and based on what I'm seeing I think Science 6 is great for him! So, if we are opting to do DLO do I NEED that expensive Teacher's Manual? I expect I'll need it for corrections but have a secret hope that it may somehow accessible via the online course? Do you recommend the tests?

I haven't * used*  BJU science, but I have the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade books that were given to us.  I would have NO problems putting a child "behind" a year, especially if they are unused to the amount of work that those texts expect.  It can be an intense workload. Very good, but intense.  I hemmed and hawed about using Life Science next year, but decided against it.  When combined with the rest of school , it was just. too. much.  (I wouldn't be able to do video/distance learning options.) Even though my oldest is not a STEM guy, he really likes science, partially because I have avoided heavy textbooks in favor of "lighter" options and more experiments, videos, bios, and nature study.   I  just can't kill that love right now.  I also can't do the cost (!) of BJU science for a non-credit class.  I'll save the "rigor" and the $ for high school science.

So, I'm replying to myself here. CBD has samples of the student activity manuals and based on what I'm seeing I think Science 6 is great for him! So, if we are opting to do DLO do I NEED that expensive Teacher's Manual? I expect I'll need it for corrections but have a secret hope that it may somehow accessible via the online course? Do you recommend the tests?

You don't need the expensive teacher's manual.  There is a $99 special right now for the DLO courses-I'm not sure if you saw that.  There is an e-version of the TM that comes with the $99 special.  And, the tests are online, so you don't have to buy them.

I agree with the others that 6th grade is probably plenty for a 12 year old.  Just as a side note, 6th grade science is challenging, but 7th grade science is much more challenging.  There is a huge jump from 6th to 7th.

If you need a link for the $99 special, I can forward you  the email I got from the sweet lady who is my sales rep.

Enjoy your decision!

Dd uses BJU Science since grade 2.

Be shure to learn dc how to studie for tests, it is a skill BJU practices since grade 4.

Dd will finish LifeScience next semester and I am pretty confident she will pas the required exam.

I am looking forward to use Physical Science with her.

( earth and space science is be considered geography here)