Menu

Outlining & SOTW

BrettW

I have a copy of SOTW4 along with its Activity guide. I'd like to start teaching my ds10 outlining and notice that SWB has the kids outlining throughout this level starting at Lesson 1.

Is this where she introduces outlining, or is it started in an earlier level? If so, which one? I don't have the guides for any other book so I though I'd ask you all.

I'm also open to other suggestions to teach outlining... thanks for your help.

FWIW, she says the outlining in book 4 is for older kids. In one of her audio lectures she says that is to make SOTW more applicable for a wider range of ages. She then says that information is in the AG but it is NOT.  I have looked and looked, as have several other hive members and we cannot find that information. Maybe you can, lol.

In TWTM, outlining is a skill that is introduced in 5th grade, not 4th.  I also need to say that in her own writing lectures she says that a 5th grader should start with a one level outline. That means just finding the main point of each paragraph. In 6th grade they move to a 2 point outline etc.  The outlines in SOTW4 AG are two and three point outlines. There is also no instruction provided. It might be a bit much to throw a kid into it without any instruction.

That said, I did have my older boy do the outlines etc because they were in the AG. It was doable, but difficult. And when 5th grade rolled around he still needed direct instruction in how to outline. Filling out those outlines in the AG didn't really translate into learning how to outline. I guess I should have provided more direct instruction?

With my current 4th grader, I copy the outlines she provides and then have my kid listen to the SOTW section and fill in the outline as we go along. It isn't outlining really, but it is not as intimidating as what I did to my older kid, lol. After our mid-winter break I am considering having him read the section himself and fill in the outline.  I also have the workbook to teach outlining that was suggested in TWTM. It is a year early, but he is eager to get started on outlining. He saw his big brother do a whole lot of it and he sees it as a 'big boy' skill, lol.

Redsquirrel, I think when she said "information," she meant the actual outlines. They are not necessarily for 4th graders, but for older kids who are using SOTW. So, they are not really teaching how, just supplementing for those who are learning outlining later, That's my take, anyway.

Had I stayed with homeschooling and used Year 4 in fourth grade, I would have just skipped over the outlines. We would've been done with SOTW by 5th, so we just wouldn't have used them.

Just to further stir this pot, notice that starting in chapter 22, the second section of each chapter has the student write from a given, completed outline. There are grade-level suggestions, but I can already hear the sighs of anguish from my reluctant writer.

Writing from the outline is a later logic stage skill.  I wouldn't do it unless you are having a 7th or 8th grader use SOTW4.  I know a lot of people who do. They didn't do any organized history until later elementary or middle school or so and they use SOTW. Including the outlines and writing from the outline was a way for Peace Hill Press to make SOTW work for older (logic stage) students.

I have a copy of SOTW4 along with its Activity guide. I'd like to start teaching my ds10 outlining and notice that SWB has the kids outlining throughout this level starting at Lesson 1.

Is this where she introduces outlining, or is it started in an earlier level? If so, which one? I don't have the guides for any other book so I though I'd ask you all.

I'm also open to other suggestions to teach outlining... thanks for your help.

I recently purchases this book for my 10 yr old son. We started it today.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/022872/3371b3525b45b671c23f6ecb

This is the resource that SWB suggests in TWTM. 

And, I don't know what your plans are for writing but WWS does a lot of work on outlining.

I used that Remedia Outlining book with my 6th grader this year and thought it was excellent.  I plan to get another one and use it with the 5th grader later this year or early next.

We are in SOTW4 this year, 4th grade.  At the moment I'm setting aside the outlines and the comprehension questions in favor of narrations (I break up each chapter into shorter topical sections to narrate) and having him write a summary. 

Writing summaries is the skill recommended for this grade in WTM, and it fits his abilities.  More or less.  :)  We're still ironing out wrinkles -- he needs more guidance than to just summarize the entire section, I think I'll start having him pick one topic and write on that (for instance, he thought Pedro II of Brazil was "the most sensible emperor in history" -- he could do 3-5 sentences supporting that idea).  We're doing the talk-into-a-recorder-and-transcribe level of writing.

FWIW I think the outlining method is taught well in WWS, and don't think that the outlining done in SOTW4 will transfer usefully unless some more-explicit instruction is also given.  It does make sense to me as an exercise for a child who knows how to outline points from a text and is rounding out her ability to take notes, or for any child whose parent finds it is working well.  I think we, currently, are much better served by writing summaries.