Menu

Is this curriculum Possible without a Library?

Guest pagefreak

Guest pagefreak

My husband is in the foreign service and we live overseas and move ever 2-3 years. I'm wondering if there are any military or other foreign services families that successfully use this curriculum. My husband and I both LOVE the idea of classical education and following WTM. We are wondering if it will be possible given our lifestyle. We never know where we are going to be stationed and without library access is it possible to fully embrace the classical model of education, Does anyone have thoughts on this? or suggestions.

With a Kindle and the internet, yes.

Be picky about what actual books you own (and move).  Honestly, I think there are certain advantages to having few (but the highest quality) books. Children are better off falling in love with an old copy of Grimm's Fairy tales than having a shelf full of picture books that they tire of after a few readings, for example.

Hunter has several threads about what books you'd take if you lived on a deserted island and the like.  Those might give you some good ideas on how to prioritize. 

I agree.  With a Kindle and at least periodic access to the internet it is very possible.  And Hunter has a whole slew of materials that are public domain and accessible through the internet that might help you.  

And apparently Amazon has started some new thing with the kindle so if you pay a monthly fee you have access to over 7000 books in both e-reader format and audible.

Guest pagefreak

Thank you how do I access Hunter's List?

With a Kindle and the internet, yes.

Be picky about what actual books you own (and move).  Honestly, I think there are certain advantages to having few (but the highest quality) books. Children are better off falling in love with an old copy of Grimm's Fairy tales than having a shelf full of picture books that they tire of after a few readings, for example.

Hunter has several threads about what books you'd take if you lived on a deserted island and the like.  Those might give you some good ideas on how to prioritize. 

I think even if you have limited internet, it can be done. You just have to plan ahead. And compromise about a few things... but you'll always change and compromise some anyway.

You might at some point be interested in Amira's post about having scanned all their books.

My husband also is Foreign Service. My daughter will be ready for K next year, so I can't say for certain, but I fully expect to give her a classical education at home. When she's young, I'll probably buy most of the books we need, but I'll transition to kindle as she gets older. Feel free to PM me.

I have lived overseas for the last 15 years and my kids were all born here and have done all their homeschooling. It is definitely possible and more and more easy every year. For us we get most of our books and curriculum from Book Depository and Better World Books, both of which ships for free around the world. But all of the foreign service people i k ow here do most of their shopping thru Amazon and Walmart or wherever as they have APO addresses. As you will have an APO address, you can ordering options are very similar to the U.S. And they also pay to ship your things when you move so however many books you accumulate as you go along can easily be added to you cargo shipment when you move. If you're going to do this overseas, the foreign service is one of the more convenient ways to go :)

Here is a link to a thread that has links to some of our minimalist threads and other free things.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/507532-rigorous-on-a-budget/?p=5528194

Here is a link to the Public Domain Curriculum.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Fvf4FXKZtoZmdHdlZ5UWU0SWc/view?usp=sharing

Thanks! My mind was not on a Hive member but an outside source. Might be why Google was getting so confused with my searches. :)

Not military or foreign service, but overseas.

It is absolutely doable, but I won't pretend that it would not be easier with libraries that overflow with English books. We try to enjoy kindle and ipad books but really prefer physical. Don't overlook the possibility of university libraries. In Europe, many universities have graduate programs in English. I don't know if that is true elsewhere.

Guest pagefreak

Thank you all for the information, it has been very helpful. I know now that we can give our girls a classical education with some preplanning. I appreciate your support.