Menu

From the daughter of a cop...

Katy

FWIW, I've taught in settings where there were cameras on all the time (as an early childhood/music education college professor-a lot of the classes I've taught are both classes for preschool children and classes for college students, who have to watch and analyze lessons-and those classes are broadcast on a TV monitor or there is a 2 way mirror in the room so they can observe, and are usually recorded to give students NO excuse for not getting those hours in) and I was wired for sound.

And, in many ways, I like it. There's NO "He said, She said". If a parent makes a claim, they can pull the tape and see what actually happened. I also like that the college students can't claim "Well, I was in student health once, and that's why I didn't get my 20 hours of observation in-because they can go to the lab at any time and pull a full semester's (or more) worth of digital recordings of not only my teaching, but the discussion session that followed.

You do get used quickly to turning OFF your microphone when you go to the bathroom :). 

It really isn't a big deal

Same here.  At the college daycare I work in we have the 2 way glass and are often observed by students, parents etc.  I have worked in centers that have video going all day and parents can log in and watch what we are doing.  THe high school I have my before and after school care in has cameras in every hallway and we are monitored there. Heck even things like my job at the diner last year or the fast food place this year etc I am on camera for all or most of my shift.  I have never had a problem with them.  I follow the rules, I am good at my job etc.  What it does do it cover my arse against accusations of anything etc

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can accept that you know more than I do about the treatment that soldiers receive. My brother has never complained of mistreatment and, while we are very close, it is entirely possible that he simply hasn't shared any of the negative stories with me. Maybe it just feels like the military is more appreciated. I know that there is always that fringe group of protestors but maybe it is more than just a "fringe". It just really feels like no one likes cops. Parents don't want officers to come and speak in the schools, kids are told not to talk to them; it's demoralizing. My husband had a child try to give him a drawing but the child's parents wouldn't let him and told him not to speak to cops. I never considered that this sort of thing may happen soldiers as well. Maybe they should all just be firemen. Everyone loves firemen.

That's definitely not the way it is here. My dds call their school's resource officer, who are local police employed by the city, by their first names. These officers regularly talk with the students and parents and have a good relationship with all. They've both had officers come as guest speakers to their 7th grade Civics classes to talk about rights, as well as have other police come to talk about bullying and drugs. Retired officers are often substitute teachers (as long as they have a B.A. as that's required for subbing here) and talk about their careers and the students love it. I don't see the mistreatment here. I'm sure it exists with some but it's not the norm or tolerated by many.