Menu

Do I need to have a Home Instructors Guide to teach Singapore Math 1A&1B?

Princess5

I bought the HIG for 1A.  I flipped through it before we began, and I figured I would come back to it when I felt I needed instruction as to how to teach the concepts.  I never looked at it again.  I did not buy the HIG for 1B and I never missed it.  DS just started 2A and I did not buy the HIG.

I will reassess if I need them as we head into the higher levels.

OTOH, I have a very strong math foundation and a firm, conceptual understanding of Singapore style math, so YMMV.

Wendy

FWIW, I have gone through Singapore 2B without needing the HIG but I did decide to get the HIG for Singapore 3 and above mostly because I found it second hand on a great sale and it does have some great teaching ideas in it. I can't say that I needed it though but I am pretty comfortable with the Singapore method so far. It really depends on your comfort level with the program. :)

If you just use the textbook and workbook it may be hard to discern the Singapore method. The HIG spells it out. I personally feel that the HIG is most helpful in the younger grades. In levels 1 and 2, many of the examples in the HIG are not in the textbook. Many of these lessons explain how to demonstrate the concept using manipulatives. As you move up, manipulatives are used less frequently and more of the examples come from the textbook. The HIG gives more detailed information on how to explain those examples. As I get further in, I still use the HIG, but I find that I use it less.

Additionally, there are Mental Math pages in the back of the HIG as well as appendices containing additional problems, graph or grid paper for copying as well as figures for copying (instead of having to trace figures in the textbook). The HIG also contains answers to the textbook and workbook.

I think it might depend on your student, too.  I had no problem teaching first DS without the HIG, but he's very mathy and any mistakes *I* made, were not harmful to his understanding.  

Now second DS, he's a bit of a different story.  I use the HIG when teaching him in 1A (and 1B) because I like that it lays out the method more clearly, which helps me to help him to understand better.  

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up cracking the HIG for the last 1/3 of 1a. I am good at math and reading the HIG it makes sense to me, but looking at the problems at the book - I would have told her to do them a totally different way. I'd look through a book and see if they teach it the same way you would have taught it, and get it only if needed.