Menu

Grammar help

My son's friend is in 7th grade and attends public school.  He was never taught the parts of speech and is having a hard time understanding grammar rules - i.e. when to use a comma, etc.

Does anyone know of a grammar program that is geared for a middle schooler who has never studied grammar?  Does such a program even exist?

Hmm. Rod n Staff Eng is by grade but it has lots of review each year. Maybe starting with the 5th grade book might work.

Analytical grammar might work at his own pace starting from the beginning.

An older choice might be Harvey Elementary Grammar. Could prob get all caught up with one book...and it might be online somewhere.

Maybe Khan Academy has what is needed, for free and online.

Hmm. Rod n Staff Eng is by grade but it has lots of review each year. Maybe starting with the 5th grade book might work.

Analytical grammar might work at his own pace starting from the beginning.

An older choice might be Harvey Elementary Grammar. Could prob get all caught up with one book...and it might be online somewhere.

Maybe Khan Academy has what is needed, for free and online.

I wouldn't recommend R&S in this situation; it's a complete English course, not just grammar. Probably wouldn't recommend Harvey's, either, because it is so different.

AG might do the trick, depending on whether or not diagramming makes sense to him or not. :-)

My vote would be Easy Grammar, as it is *just* grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.

Well, they might consider running him through Fix-it Grammar from IEW.  The new one, not the old one.  You can get the one geared to Middle School level and it assumes no prior knowledge of grammar.

Or CLE Language Arts, but he might need to start with 300....

Easy Grammar is a good program, too, but my kids did terrible with memorizing all the prepositions.

Easy Grammar is a good program, too, but my kids did terrible with memorizing all the prepositions.

We worked at memorizing them, but I didn't require perfect memorization before starting into the actual marking-out-the-preposition work. :-) Before long, dc learned to recognize the prepositions in the sentences anyway. :-)

Maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439625459/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me= would be helpful. I'm not familiar with the English book, but we've used some of the others in the series and found them helpful for a *very* basic understanding. The ones we have are colorful with more charts & bulleted lists than sentences & paragraphs.