Menu

Someone tell me how to use my French press please...

StaceyinLA

And what kind of coffee to use in it?

My Keurig is about to kick the bucket, and since I've switched to bulletproof coffee, I really don't need to replace it. I have been brewing a plain pod in my Keurig to use in my bulletproof, but it's not worth it. I have the Bodin French press; just need to learn to use it...

Coffee snob here.  :)  I use a french press every day right now.  Our espresso machine is out for repair.  

Use good coffee.  I use Camano Island - I like that they roast it the day before shipping.  Shade grown, organic, fair trade.  But any coffee you like is going to work.  Freshly ground is best.

Pour in enough coffee to fill it up to the line on the bottom - there should be a small line somewhere underneath the bottom metal ring.  If not, I fill to the bottom of the bottom metal ring. (Make sense?)  Heat water.  (I boil it, then let it cool so it's not quite boiling so as not to burn the coffee.)  Pour the coffee in, and let steep.  Experiment to see how long you like it (I give it 8 minutes).  Then put the top on , and slowly push down the strainer.  

I'm going to dig out our French press and give this a try. I've always wondered how to use it--and I got it long before the days of Youtube so I never even thought about learning there.

If I can make the press work I can remove the large plug in coffee maker from the countertop so that part of the counter is cleaner. WooHoo!

Edited....mine's not a French press, after all. It's an Italian thing (we purchased in Italy) which as near as I can figure is a small perc type deal.

Cute, but not what I'm looking for...

French press is now on my Christmas wish list....

We have a hot water pot too. It's a Hamilton beach electric kettle we got from Costco for 20 bucks and it lasted over five years before starting to leak. I replaced it with another last year and the design is just as good.

We have a bodum pot that makes 1.5L of coffee and I use a kitchen scale to weigh the grounds if I want to make less than a full pot.

Here's my method.  I think my press holds eight cups.

I use a stovetop kettle, and get that heating up first.  While that's going, I grind the coffee on the coarsest setting, enough for two heaping scoops.  That goes in the press.  When the water boils, I take it off the heat and let it sit for a few seconds so it doesn't scald the grounds.  (I don't know if that actually makes a difference, but I've read that it does.)  I pour in the water until the press is just under half full, which will make enough for me to have one really big cup and dh to have a small cup of coffee if he wants one.  I give it a good stir with a chopstick, then put the top on and set the strainer part to just above the foamy stuff, then let it sit for four minutes.  After four minutes is up, I push the strainer part down and then pour the coffee into mugs right away.

My method is very specific, lol. 

Oh, and you can use any kind of coffee as long as you grind it yourself on a coarse setting.