Menu

New font created for dyslexics

I nearly posted this on the Learning Challenges board, but I think many kids could benefit from a typeface that reduces mirrored letters. :) I suppose for a child's own production, cursive would be the easiest, but if this helps with typewritten reading, I'm all for it.

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/11/09/christian-boer-dyslexie-typeface-dyslexia-easier-reading-istanbul-design-biennial-2014/

I do not currently have a large group of remedial students to test it on...I wonder, I should start a poll on the learning challenges board, it looks like it might be harder for someone with a visual processing problem to read than a normal font. Did he try it on any real dyslexic students and see if it actually helped?

I tested several fonts and colors before going with my selection for my phonics movies, this font resembles some that were the worst for my students at the time. But, I would be interested to see if that is actually the case or not, some fonts did better than I expected them to do and some did worse than I expected during my testing.

I do not currently have a large group of remedial students to test it on...I wonder, I should start a poll on the learning challenges board, it looks like it might be harder for someone with a visual processing problem to read than a normal font. Did he try it on any real dyslexic students and see if it actually helped?

I tested several fonts and colors before going with my selection for my phonics movies, this font resembles some that were the worst for my students at the time. But, I would be interested to see if that is actually the case or not, some fonts did better than I expected them to do and some did worse than I expected during my testing.

The article says that the creator is dyslexic. Perhaps there is a spectrum of dyslexia, and some have more trouble with reflections than others.

Well there is definitely a spectrum for dyslexia and there are different underlying issues that cause the struggles so probably this will work with some and not with others.  Pretty great that so much effort is being put into trying to help, though.  And hopefully it really will help many.  I will try it out with my own kids this afternoon.  Thanks for the post and the link, OP.

Interesting. I think for this to work, a student would need to spend a LOT of time reading with it. I don't think it would be an instant fix.

And I don't don't think the larger culture would have any interest in using the font as it's not as neat looking as traditional fonts.

I don't see this as being of much practical use.

Interesting. I think for this to work, a student would need to spend a LOT of time reading with it. I don't think it would be an instant fix.

And I don't don't think the larger culture would have any interest in using the font as it's not as neat looking as traditional fonts.

I don't see this as being of much practical use.

If the font can be added to e-readers, it might be easy to switch all books on the device to use the font, it could be an enormous benefit, and very practically useful.

If the font can be added to e-readers, it might be easy to switch all books on the device to use the font, it could be an enormous benefit, and very practically useful.

Hmm..., yes, if we are not talking about hardcopies, and the reader can pick their own font, this could be useful, and I think the more practice a students has with the font, the more useful it will become to them.