Menu

TOPS Science..New question in Post #11...

wehave8

My kids and I have greatly enjoyed using various TOPS units, but I don't think it is a complete stand-alone science. I would (and do) add in a systematic tour through a science encyclopedia (I like the Usborne ones) and scientist bios.

Could you share what your 'systematic tour' looks like?  :)  Thanks!

Pam

I agree. Love tops here. But it isn't complete. I pair it with a text (also love usborne encyclopedias) and various bios. That has worked very well for us.

(you didn't ask me, but I can link you what we've done tomorrow when I'm at a computer... If you'd like)

Are there certain ones you are looking at? How old are your kids?

Systematic?  :smilielol5:-- That's me being systematic...  I know I said systematic, BUT... :tongue_smilie:

My system is that I pick a topic for each year, with the goal that we will have touched on most things in the Usborne Encyclopedia by the end of 8th grade. Some topics (like chemistry) we have spent 2 years in, while others have had to wait their turn.

I've (mostly) followed the WTM progression of biology - earth science - chemistry - physics.  I use the encyclopedia as a spine, have the kids keep a notebook of terms/concept sketches/experiments, and use a variety of sources ( like TOPS, Nova shows, library books, etc.) to make it more interesting.  I don't plan too far in advance, or stress over what doesn't get done.  I wanted my children to end up in 8th grade with a broad base of  general science knowledge and have some fun in the process.  So far so good. 

TOPS units are nice supplement for hands-on experiments, but they do not contain much of any factual information (or even much explanation about the experiments). Plus, they do not cover every aspect of science (esp. at the elementary grades). So, no, TOPS units would not make a complete elementary science curriculum, IMO.

I could certainly see using some of the TOPS units as part of a science unit, however, along with:

- "living books"

- science magazines

- educational DVDs/videos

- field trips

- coloring/learning pages

- hands-on kits

- time for unstructured exploration/discovery

TOPS units are nice supplement for hands-on experiments, but they do not contain much of any factual information (or even much explanation about the experiments). Plus, they do not cover every aspect of science (esp. at the elementary grades). So, no, TOPS units would not make a complete elementary science curriculum, IMO.

I could certainly see using some of the TOPS units as part of a science unit, however, along with:

- "living books"

- science magazines

- educational DVDs/videos

- field trips

- coloring/learning pages

- hands-on kits

- time for unstructured exploration/discovery

I guess I meant using TOPS without a 'textbook'.  I like your list. :)  We do ALL of these and I wasn't even planning them.  :)  Thanks!

Pam

Systematic?  :smilielol5:-- That's me being systematic...  I know I said systematic, BUT... :tongue_smilie:

My system is that I pick a topic for each year, with the goal that we will have touched on most things in the Usborne Encyclopedia by the end of 8th grade. Some topics (like chemistry) we have spent 2 years in, while others have had to wait their turn.

I've (mostly) followed the WTM progression of biology - earth science - chemistry - physics.  I use the encyclopedia as a spine, have the kids keep a notebook of terms/concept sketches/experiments, and use a variety of sources ( like TOPS, Nova shows, library books, etc.) to make it more interesting.  I don't plan too far in advance, or stress over what doesn't get done.  I wanted my children to end up in 8th grade with a broad base of  general science knowledge and have some fun in the process.  So far so good.

I like your plan/goals!  Thanks for sharing!

Pam

I agree. Love tops here. But it isn't complete. I pair it with a text (also love usborne encyclopedias) and various bios. That has worked very well for us.

(you didn't ask me, but I can link you what we've done tomorrow when I'm at a computer... If you'd like)

Are there certain ones you are looking at? How old are your kids?

I'd like to see what you do.  I would be looking at any of the elementary level.  My dss are 7, 9, & 11.  (I need to work on my siggy!)

Pam

I used TOPS for 3 years.  I agree, you need to add some reading with it.  We were not a big fan of it though because I was led to believe they are fairly independent for middle school aged kids.  Not so in my house.  They rarely worked when they tried them alone.  

Do you think TOPS would be a waste of time?

Pam

Not at all! I've heard many times on from people on this Board that these were great units for the elementary ages:

- #71 - Lentils (gr. K-2)

- #38 - Radishes (gr. 2-5)

- #39 - Beans & Corn (gr. 3-6)

- #32 - Electricity (gr. 3-6)

And we loved these units for the late middle school and high school years:

- #42 -  Focus Pocus (gr. 5-8)

- #23 - Rocks & Minerals (gr. 6-9)

- #10 - Analysis (gr. 7-10)

- #11 - Oxidation (gr. 8-10)

- #12 - Solutions (gr. 7-10)

- #13 - Adhesion & Cohesion (gr. 6-9)

- #15 - Heat (gr. 8-10)

- #21 - Motion (gr. 6-9)

I highly recommend getting the supplemental supply kit if the unit offers one; it is a pain and can be expensive to have to run around finding/buying all of the things needed for all the experiments.

Because it's been awhile since you've done science with elementary ages, you might want to check out the huge explosion of options these days; there may be a complete program that is a great fit for your family. Just a few ideas to start you with:

Elemental Science

Real Science 4 Kids

REAL Science Odyssey

Noeo Science

Super Charged Science

Also, check out the Cathy Duffy reviews of science programs, units, kits, and supplements.

Is there a specific science area you are interested in covering? We did science similarly to Zoo Keeper above, and I'd be happy to help brainstorm putting together your own resources if you want a more DIY approach. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

What books do you pair with TOPS for the reading? I've never really added much because my oldest does so much science reading for fun but my youngest may need a more structured reading plan.

Well, we were mostly using TOPS for the late middle school/high school grades for some of the lab/experiment portion of our science, so mostly going along with science textbooks at the high school grades. But for late middle school, we combined several books as spines and then added in lots of individual books from the library on specific topics. For spines we used some of the John Tiner books (Exploring the World of Chemistry, World of Physics, etc.) and the Reader's Digest How Earth Works (earth science), and How Science Works (physical science topics), plus sections of an old Abeka 8th grade Matter & Motion text for additional physics.

You might also just read through a Science Encyclopedia as a spine and then add in library books and other resources. We used the Demsey-Parr Science Encyclopedia one year as a spine; it would work for grades 3-5. One year for 5th/6th grade, we used the Usborne Internet-Linked books of Animal World, Human Body, and World of Plants. We also enjoyed following a lot of the links. We also used The Ultimate Visual Dictionary as a helpful spine for grades 6-8.

For very young elementary ages, lots of individual titles:

- Let's Read and Find Out About Science series

- Magic School Bus series

- stepped reader books on various topics

- Usborne science books

- Wonders of Our World series

- individual titles by Gail Gibbons, Seymour Simons, and others

- more ideas in this past thread: List of favorite science picture books

Or, for a spine:

- Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding: gr. K-2 (Nebel) -- and for later: gr. 3-5gr. 6-8

For later elementary ages, what about:

- Rader's science websites (biology4kidschem4kids, physics4kids, geography4kids, cosmos4kids)

- Singapore science (secular)

- Apologia (Christian)

For late elementary/early middle school, what about:

- Prentice Hall Science Explorer texts (secular)

- Singapore science (secular)

- Apologia (Christian)

- Bob Jones (Christian)

We did out and my science nerd kids hated it. They called it "cut and paste science". They actually asked top go back to BJU online. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

I think I saw you say that before and I was curious. I have a couple of the units but we haven't really used them, but I don't understand how they could be considered cut and paste. To me, cut and paste implies a fake hands on experience without any room for experimentation or adaption but the TOPS units I've seen involve playing around with actual hands on stuff. So, for example, I disliked some of the "crafts" in the SOTW AG because they weren't crafts to me and my kids - they were things you literally cut out and pasted. But the TOPS units are actually hands on. Can you say more? Is it that the activities were too simple? That the outcomes were too predictable? One of the ones we have has questions with blanks on some pages that do seem really simple. Was it the written portion?