Menu

I am making Chicken Paprikash for dinner tonight

for my dad's birthday. He died 3 years ago. Today would have been his 60th birthday.

Chicken Paprikash was the meal I always begged him to make when I visited him every other weekend growing up.

My dad was full Hungarian blood and he passed the recipe down to me several years ago. I have it written out in his hand which means a lot to me

We had a very complicated relationship. He was an alcoholic who chose his vice over his kids. He died not even really knowing all of his grandkids' names. Trying to reach my dad growing up was one of the most stressful things I have ever had to do. The last year was the hardest. Watching someone slowly kill themselves is devastating. Especially when you are offering help and it is refused. Especially when offering help is one of the most painful things to do.

But I loved him. He gave me his eyes, toes, dark sense of humor. He made me love camping, cooking-he was an excellent cook, and Dr. Demento.

Happy Birthday Dad.