Menu

Memoria Press Questions

ByGrace3

I am looking at a few things from MP for next year, and hoping to get some input.

How is the Geography? I like the idea of a simple workbook and review books the year after. Has anyone had any experience with these? Can anyone compare them to the VP Legnds and League workbooks?

The Literature, in particular 3rd grade. Is that meant to be read aloud or independent reading?

The enrichment. I am looking at the K enrichment. Can anyone compare it to FIAR? I have phonics, math, and Bible and am considering adding this or keep going with FIAR for K.

I am also considering the Famous Men books (Greece and Rome) with the MP workbooks alongside VP self paced NT Greece and Rome. This would be for my then 5th grader. Any thoughts?

Lastly, the art cards. Worth it?

Thank you!

They have read-alouds and independent reading in each grade.  Do you mean the lit. guides?  I think they have the student read it alone and aloud in the plans, but I'm not sure.  I just have my kids read independently.  I have one using the Sarah Noble guide from 2nd grade and another using the Farmer Boy guide from 3rd grade.  I'm please with both.  I plan on adding a lot of MP next year.  This year I also added Classical Comp to our writing and like that as well. 

We are doing most of the MP core.

I have my older child read independently ( she has worked on 3rd and 4th grade MP). I read to my 7 year old, who is just starting 2nd grade MP literature after working through 1st grade literature (Storytime treasures). I think it depends on the reading ability of your children, if you feel they can handle the readings, but I think the goal is to have the literature guides be read independently.

MP enrichment incorporates poetry, art, music, social studies and sometimes science, all centered around the theme of the main book of the week. These are meant to be read-alouds. The Enrichment book includes discussion questions, short bios of the authors, composers, artists and poets, art analysis suggestions and more. I've only done the FIAR sample, so I haven't rowed extensively, but the MP enrichment is great because you get to cover the theme of the week in a bunch of different ways, while exposing your kids to wonderful additional arts resources. I also like that I don't have to read the same book over and over each week.

I think the art cards are worth it. They are small, but they offer a wonderful selection of great artwork. If you do enrichment you will probably want to get the art cards as well, as these are the artworks connected to the weekly readings.

My 9 year old really likes Famous Men of Rome, so much that it surprised me. She asks to do it at least twice a week. It's pretty straightforward, some might say dry since you do a reading and then answer questions, but she is covering all sorts of historical Roman figures and she enjoys the format. The stories themselves are pretty interesting.

I add in an additional history curriculum, as I also want her to get more of an overview of history, so you may want to keep that in mind depending on what you want for history.

MP is a lot of reading and answering questions but I specifically chose it because I wanted to work on reading comprehension with my older child. I also really like the classic book selections.

We haven't done geography yet but will start on it soon.

I used MP's whole curriculum for K last year. I really liked the enrichment guide. It's very good. I loved the literature selections, but I did have trouble finding some of the books at my library ( our library isn't that great though). But finding a substitute wasn't too difficult. I really like how the theme was Carried out over the course of the week. I think the art cards are worth it. I displayed ours on the frig