Menu

Housesitting Pay

AmandaVT

We're going away for a week and my friend is going to come by a few times to check on our house, bring in the mail, etc. I think she'll be coming 3-4 times total. On the last visit, she'll bump our heat up so the house is warm when we get home and turn on the outside light. The other visits, she'll grab the mail and double check that the heating system is working ok. It stopped working at the end of last spring and the plumber "thinks" it's fixed, but I'm paranoid. It'll take less than 5 min each time she comes and she lives about 5 min from here. 

Is $50 a good amount to give her? More? 

I house-sat for some friends of mine and instead of a cash payment, they gave me a gift card to a store they know I frequent.  I watched their house for a week and a half, which included giving the cat his medicine and checking in on her mom who lives in the garage apartment, and the gift card was for $100.  So $50 sounds about right to me.

ETA: I live in a more rural part of the country where the cost of living is about average.  My family who lives in the L.A. area would probably offer a little more money for a week of housesitting.

Great - thank you! I'm considering buying her a GC to a restaurant in town that she and her boyfriend like. Or just cash, not sure yet. Glad to know I'm on target with the amount! Thanks!

You should pay her with cash. A gc would be an extra bonus but people do expect to be paid in cash.