Menu

Want to help me plan a mystery?

Our homeschool group book club does unit study activities following the group discussions. The groups are all reading detective themed stories (Sherlock for older, Basil of Baker Street for middle, and picture books for youngest). We normally divide the kids up into groups of 5-6 and rotate them through activity stations (rooms) with art, science, geography, etc., activities they do in about 15-20 minutes each. The ages will be Pre-K up to early high school, and the groups could be divided by age or a mixture so that older are helping younger. 

I'm thinking of making this one a mystery they have to solve. My daughter thought the story could be a cake is missing. After they find it, they get to eat the cake.

I was thinking we could have them all meet in the room where the cake was last seen. I thought we could make it one of the moms. We find a note about it being taken.

We then need to divide up and send them to different rooms. Another thing to decide is how to end it where they actually find the cake. 

One group could stay there to talk about how to investigate the scene of the crime. I need help deciding the other stations and how to make them happen in that time frame. I was thinking things like fingerprints. I could have some things ready ahead of time so their focus is the observation and comparison. 

I probably need 4 more stations in addition to the crime scene. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Neat! I'm on my way out the door, but a few quick thoughts:

We love the wordless book, Where's the Cake? By Tjong Khing The.

For science the clue could use invisible lemon juice writing?

For art a famous painting like Night Hawks by Hopper, Freedom from Want by Rockwell (in both those I think the cake is "missing") or Salad, Sandwiches and Dessert by Thiebaud which does have cake, but could be modified to have one clearly missing.

How fun! :)

Logic puzzles that require deduction from clues/parts at one station would fit in.

Fingerprint matching and magnifying glass (see Lela Davidson hub page) (or a fingerprint kit)

Fiber matching and magnifying glass

How about using a Forensics kit spread out several the stations? 

FREE: Forensics In the Classroom Units -- 6 units

Here's a FREE, whole unit on doing Forensic activities and solving a mystery that integrates different school subjects: StemWorks: Law & Justice: Integrated Curriculum Unit on Forensics Crime Scene Investigation.

How fun! :)

Logic puzzles that require deduction from clues/parts at one station would fit in.

Fingerprint matching and magnifying glass (see Lela Davidson hub page) (or a fingerprint kit)

Fiber matching and magnifying glass

How about using a Forensics kit spread out several the stations? 

FREE: Forensics In the Classroom Units -- 6 units

Here's a FREE, whole unit on doing Forensic activities and solving a mystery that integrates different school subjects: StemWorks: Law & Justice: Integrated Curriculum Unit on Forensics Crime Scene Investigation.

Reason #316 why I love Lori D.

• 1 month later...

I realized I never came back and shared how our day went. We had a lot of fun. We had several families out due to sickness, so I had to streamline things due to fewer moms.

We had a big cake that was decorated with detective themes which I showed them at the start of our day. We went to our discussion rooms, and I had the "suspects" make obvious exits from their rooms. They went and wrote a note, leaving fingerprints on it (lotion on their hands and pressing down on sides), and they hid the cake. When we came back together, the cake was gone! The kids quickly put together a list of suspects, and we broke up into groups to do various activities.

We took fingerprints of the suspects, got handwriting samples, and took their pens. We had stations where the kids learned about fingerprints and compared the note to the suspects' prints, learned about different aspects of handwriting and compared those samples as well, and a chromatography station to compare the inks. They also had a station for learning about logic and deductive reasoning.

When we came back together, they shared their thoughts on who the guilty party was. That person slipped out at the end leaving another note. It was a clue-based note that led the kids on a scavenger hunt to find the cake. We had the cake and a party afterwards. The kids had a blast.

Oh,and by the way, the actual book discussions went very well, too. I loved the deep discussion we got into with my group over revenge and greed and how they can lead even a "good" person to do the wrong thing. 

Amy, how awesome! :hurray:

Thank you SO much for sharing!

(Now I wanna do a mystery book club class and detective day!  :laugh: )

I have really enjoyed turning our book club into a unit study/whole day of school. It's allowed whole families to participate by offering different level books, nursery, etc. People don't mind coming out for something that is fun, worthwhile, and longer than just an hour discussion. 

I've got to run out to the dentist, but I'll try to post a list of books this year and themes. 

Here are the books we're using this year along with the themes. 

Group 1 is 5th and up. Group 2 is 2nd - 4th grades. Group 3 is Preschool - 1st grade. The youngest group leader plans crafts and activities for their time as well.

Survival Theme:

Group 1: My Side of the Mountain

Group 2: The Courage of Sarah Noble

Group 3: Two Bobbies (That group leader also brought in some picture books. I don't know which ones, but I think they were more pioneer themed like Sarah Noble.)

This was the hardest one to find similar books. The group was very blessed to have a relative come in and speak to us about survival. He was an ex-special forces military member who planned activity stations to look at survival equipment and learn about the key essentials to survival. He also took the kids out and helped them build a huge, beautiful outdoor shelter.  I'll see if I can upload a picture.

Detective Theme:

Group 1: A Study in Scarlet, The Adventure of the Red-Headed League, The Adventure of the Speckled Band

Group 2: Basil of Baker Street

Group 3: Detective LaRue (Letters from the Investigation) and The Mystery of the Monkey's Maze

Next Semester:

Ancient Science and Math Theme:

Group 1: Archimedes and the Door of Science

Group 2: Archimedes Takes a Bath, What's Your Angle, Pythagorus?

Group 3: The Librarian Who Measured the Earth

World Geography:

Group 1: Around the World in 80 Days

Group 2: Classic Starts Around the World in 80 Days

Group 3: How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World and Miranda the Explorer

Here is the original thread in which I asked for suggestions. Many came from that list and there are others there, too.