Menu

Printer for Mac Yosemite and IOS 8

I might be finally ready to buy a printer. I went a year without one at all, and then I took it apart and got it to kinda sorta print again. Now, I just stripped my cranky old mac down and installed Yosemite. OOPS, now the printer doesn't work.

And I installed IOS 8 onto the first generation iPad mini. I never printed from it on the old IOS. I think it can print. Somehow. With the right printer.

I want to be able to print on 2 sides of the paper. I want the ink to be ultra affordable and would rather pay more for the machine than the ink. I'm looking for volume, not quality of printing. Black and white only is fine if it's cheap.

What are my options?

I can ask my dh when he wakes up. I don't know if you know, but office depot and office max merged. In my area, office depot is clearing out. They are having a move out sale that ends November 15th. I would still compare prices though. Some stuff I found to be a good sale while others were not. For example, I bought a proclick for $32, while a laminator machine we found to be cheaper on amazon.

I'll check back later to answer your question.

Okay, so you may already know this, don't know.  But here is a link to a list of printers compatible to the ipad http://store.apple.com/us/ipad/ipad-accessories/printers.  Also, here's a link to more info about it http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-print-wirelessly-from-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch/. 

There may be a software that's on your ipad to use these with.

We don't have an ipad, so we are not sure which printer is good.

I hope this helps. 

I don't know about the Mac Yosemite, but I just installed iOS 8 on my iPad 2. I just tested it, and my printer prints from it nicely. This is my printer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVWKUJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It prints wirelessly and will print via AirPrint or GooglePrint (although I haven't tried the latter yet). It was the cheapest with good reviews that did color, automatic double-sided printing, and printing from the iPad, and I've had good success with Canons in the past, so I went with another.

I'm too cheap to use Canon ink, so this is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D921JPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of people here have the Brother 2270DW. I looked at your link, but also at the Brother website. They have a newer model, 2340DW that actually costs less at Amazon than the older one you linked. The D is for duplex and the W is for wireless. You should not have to pay more than $100. The printer I got was usually more than $100 on Amazon, but I got it for around $70 or $75, iirc. Check out sales and coupons.

I would not worry about Yosemite too much. Just make sure to update your printer software when you install. And you can always update from the Brother website.

Wireless is different from air print for the iPad. My Canon inkjet has Air Print, my Brother does not. I do have an app that supposedly allows to to print from iPad to wireless printers that do not have air print. But I haven't fiddled around with it yet, lol.

I haven't used Yosemite yet, but I gather from reviews that everything is super linked. If you look at a nap on your desktop, you can have it pop up on your mobile. So your could probably move files from iPad to desktop, if that is the best way to print. Or use Dropbox (free).

ETA I just checked my app, called Printer, but it only wants to interface with air print printers. It searched and did not find my trusty Brother.

If you install Printopia on your Mac, you can AirPrint to any printer.

Wow, I will check that out!

How does it work? It sends files to a Mac or macbook? I am wondering if ds was printing from an iPad would his files end up on my user account if I were using desktop? If you happen to know....

Yes, that was the one I was looking at. It says NEW on the Brother website. 

I am not the most genius at finding bargains, but a quick google made it look like the Amazon price was in the low range for that model at this point.

I did not see it at Staples or Office Depot. If it is very, very new, it could be worth waiting a bit to see if there is some price competition. But I don't think you would save a tremendous amount.

I see that B&H recommends the 2340 DW as a replacement for the wonderful, but discontinued 2270 DW. I found lots of reviews for the older models in pc magazine, pc world, etc, but none so far for the newer model.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737200-REG/Brother_HL_2270DW_HL_2270DW_Compact_Monochrome_Wireless.html

Good luck! Buying a new printer can be stressful.

A friend bought me the printer and is having it shipped to me. I'm paying the person back. It was just cheaper and easier to do it that way.

I've never had a printer like this, before. I at least had one that was cheap to print, but it smelled bad and jammed and skipped spots and had all sorts of weird problems not worth explaining, when it printed at all. Other times, I just had the ones that were too expensive to use.

I'm really excited about duplex and booklet printing. Some of my students are homeless and being able to create custom made little primers and booklets that aren't heavy will be handy.

Alessandra, you saved me money and I got a better machine. THANK YOU!

Mamarambi, I'll be trying the printopia. Thanks!

Thank you everyone else, too. You all rock! :grouphug:

I waited a LONG time to buy a printer. Not having one made me creative, and that was good. And I needed to wait to replace some other tech first before I could justify a printer. If Apple hadn't put out Yosemite for free, I wouldn't have been able to afford the printer as I would have had to save for a new device or laptop or something.

I got my phone with no contract, no money down, and an interest free loan for it. I wasn't expecting THAT. I'm feeling very very very lucky. This is the second time lately that I thought I needed to spend some serious money and came out of the shopping experience with more for less.

I have new hiking boots, a new windbreaker, and my backpack isn't worn out yet. And it appears that ALL my tech is going to be functioning and compatible. Wow! I've never had a complete set up like this. I'm usually always worrying about one of these things. Life is pretty cushy right now!

A friend bought me the printer and is having it shipped to me. I'm paying the person back. It was just cheaper and easier to do it that way.

I've never had a printer like this, before. I at least had one that was cheap to print, but it smelled bad and jammed and skipped spots and had all sorts of weird problems not worth explaining, when it printed at all. Other times, I just had the ones that were too expensive to use.

I'm really excited about duplex and booklet printing. Some of my students are homeless and being able to create custom made little primers and booklets that aren't heavy will be handy.

I waited a LONG time to buy a printer. Not having one made me creative, and that was good. And I needed to wait to replace some other tech first before I could justify a printer. If Apple hadn't put out Yosemite for free, I wouldn't have been able to afford the printer as I would have had to save for a new device or laptop or something.

I got my phone with no contract, no money down, and an interest free loan for it. I wasn't expecting THAT. I'm feeling very very very lucky. This is the second time lately that I thought I needed to spend some serious money and came out of the shopping experience with more for less.

I have new hiking boots, a new windbreaker, and my backpack isn't worn out yet. And it appears that ALL my tech is going to be functioning and compatible. Wow! I've never had a complete set up like this. I'm usually always worrying about one of these things. Life is pretty cushy right now!

This makes me so happy to read!

I am so glad to hear things are going well. The work you are doing sounds so worthwhile. Keep us all posted!

I am so glad to hear things are going well. The work you are doing sounds so worthwhile. Keep us all posted!

I have the rough drafts for all the core subjects finished! Not the literature or electives, yet, though.

I handed the rough drafts over to investigating the Landscape Blog, so they can see if they fit in with their purpose. My choices are pretty controversial, and I don't know if recommending books that suggest children taste mercury makes a blog liable. And the 1-8 history uses the term Aryan. The Indian social science texts provide contrast to the vintage histories, but don't remove the parts than many modern readers find most offensive.

If the blog does want them, I still have to turn the rough drafts into alpha drafts.

I'm excited to have these final choices made, so I can start choosing the literature. Even with all the parts I wish were better, I really wish I had had this for my boys. As a WHOLE it's better than what I used with them.

It'll be nice to be able to print parts of it out for my students. Especially the math. I'll be able to staple a chapter into a little book, that they can easily keep in a backpack.

My printer was delivered. I have it up and working with the mac with a USB cord. I haven't tried any of the fancy wireless stuff, yet, and probably won't for at least a few days.

The 2 sided printing was SO easy. I just clicked "2 sided". I want to try a booklet, soon, but not today.

Thank you ladies. This was a success! 

• 3 months later...