Menu

never getting out of minimum wage and not being able to live on it

bettyandbob

Martha-

While your take on the boyfriend could be totally on, it could also be off. We really don't know. I suspect that it is a least partially on because IIRC in the article they referenced noise complaints of the two of them fighting.

Still, I can understand not wanting kids to suffer, and supporting kids you know even if they aren't family, even when thing are tight for you. We had a boy (unrelated to us) stay with us for an extended time to keep him out of the foster care system while his single mom was in the hospital. I also feed and tutor my niece's best friend who is in a terrible home environment. If she's the sort to buy homeless guys tents, she's probably the sort to do all she can for any kids in need she knows. I don't think helping three children in need, regardless of why they are in need is something that should be dismissed as non-essential. For whatever reason it was essential to her and there are far stupider things that people of all income levels spend money on all the time.

I have no idea about her boyfriend (tho I sure suspect) and I certainly can understand feeling it is essential to help someone even if they aren't a blood relative. Never said otherwise.

My point was decent people wouldn't have used her to her detriment.

I don't fault anyone giving to another, even at great personal sacrifice to themselves, even when those people don't deserve it or appreciate it.

The whole caring for someone else's kids is a double whammy because if they were her own kids or she had legal custody, she would qualify for a lower tax rate (possibly no income tax) and probably some subsidies for meeting the kids' needs.  Oh well, it is just an odd situation.

I dated a guy who was all about my money, so I can't really judge her.  Other people can judge me, because I really was stupid, but people are irrational sometimes.

Seems like she got herself out of that mess and was maybe on the way to a healthy situation, but it wasn't meant to be.