Menu

Diabetes and A1C question

Night Elf

Both my mom and aunt have diabetes. The highest my A1C was 6.0 and my doctor said I was pre-diabetic and suggested I eat low carb. I decided to follow my mom's medical advice and eat no more than 10 carbs a day. I also lost 10 lbs. Six months later my A1C was only 5.0. I didn't have an appt. with my doctor so I didn't talk to her about it. Now it's been six months again and my A1C is 5.4. I haven't changed the way I eat and I didn't gain weight. Is it bad that my A1C went up even though it was a small amount? Is it truly likely I'll develop diabetes at some point in my life since it's hereditary? My mom was diagnosed at age 70, but my aunt was diagnosed in her 30s.

http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=366  

I can't cite sources for this, but from the extensive reading I've done on this over the years, if you eat fairly low carb over the years, and if you eat lots of foods with enzymes (raw is optimal or supplement if you have to) it is protective to your body, and you can delay or even prevent the vast majority of the symptoms of the disease.  Even if you do get the disease, you know how to keep things in tight control, and it doesn't have to become degenerative.

The place I tend to skimp is exercise, and that is just as important as your way of eating.  (I hope you don't hate aerobic exercise as much as I do...sigh.) 

I can't cite sources for this, but from the extensive reading I've done on this over the years, if you eat fairly low carb over the years, and if you eat lots of foods with enzymes (raw is optimal or supplement if you have to) it is protective to your body, and you can delay or even prevent the vast majority of the symptoms of the disease.  Even if you do get the disease, you know how to keep things in tight control, and it doesn't have to become degenerative.

The place I tend to skimp is exercise, and that is just as important as your way of eating.  (I hope you don't hate aerobic exercise as much as I do...sigh.) 

Yes, exercise is important too.  I had gestational diabetes with each pregnancy, and had to go low carb right after the last one because my blood sugar never did go down.  And low carb and exercise kept it down for 14 years.

Well, at my physical in August it was slightly up.  I hadn't been exercising at all because were at the tail end of major house renovations, and honestly exercising wasn't on my schedule with all of our belongings in the basement and teams of workmen in the house at all hours.

Now I'm exercising again, and I'm hoping that it will be back down next month when I go back.  For me, I need both diet and exercise to keep it down.

Unfortunately, I truly hate exercise. I try to walk on my treadmill but I've been skipping out more and more days. I need to get back into the routine. Walking outside is as annoying as using the treadmill, but at least with the treadmill I can watch tv.

Is 10 carbs a day sustainable for you? There's no way it would be for me.    For me, exercise is as important as diet. I've been slacking lately and I can tell.  I hate treadmills and such things but I hate feeling sluggish even more. 

I think you might have to suck it up and exercise.  Sorry. 

10 grams of carbs? Or are we talking points like in WW?

I think A1C is the measurement of your average blood sugar levels. So, on average, your blood sugar is higher.

If you really are that low carb, I'd talk to the doctor about what could be spiking your blood sugar. Maybe you ate something too carby on its own? Maybe make sure to eat your carbs with fat to lower the load?