Menu

Cool National Geographic interactive chart on What the World Eats

Pam in CT

Very interesting.  The UK's proportion of sugar and fat in the diet actually hasn't changed much in the last fifty years - I had assumed it would have increased a lot.  Produce has increased (another surprise) and we are average in the world for this - although it includes an awful lot of potatoes.  

The calorie increase is only 200 - not enormous, but enough to pack on a fair bit of weight.  And there were fewer car journeys in the 60s.

L

Very interesting in light of the Paleo/Primal craze how grain dependent we (globally) truly are.

I would like to see a breakdown on carbs/fats/protein, with these categories further divided to say where each is coming from.

You can see the breakdown -- if you click on the carbs "slice" of the pie on the global chart, it'll then show the further breakdown, for the world and also for each of the regions... and the same for the sugars/fats slice etc.  

Very interesting.  The UK's proportion of sugar and fat in the diet actually hasn't changed much in the last fifty years - I had assumed it would have increased a lot.  Produce has increased (another surprise) and we are average in the world for this - although it includes an awful lot of potatoes.  

The calorie increase is only 200 - not enormous, but enough to pack on a fair bit of weight.  And there were fewer car journeys in the 60s.

L

Yes, I also expected much more of a calorie increase over time.  The vastly increased meat consumption (106% in calorie terms, 86% in mass) was interesting too -- nearly all of the increase coming just from poultry and pork.  I would have thought beef had increased markedly, but it hasn't.

I would have never guessed that Hong Kong had the biggest meat eaters.  I thought for sure I ate enough to make the US the biggest.

hehe

I would have thought my 16 yo SON ate enough to make the US the biggest!   :lol:

You can see the breakdown -- if you click on the carbs "slice" of the pie on the global chart, it'll then show the further breakdown, for the world and also for each of the regions... and the same for the sugars/fats slice etc.  

Yes, that is helpful, but from a nutrient standpoint, we require protein, fat, and carbs.  Are the countries eating a lot of dairy eating full fat dairy or fat free?  Some countries eat insects as a  protein source...I don't know..for me, I would like to see the three categories with further breakdown.  (I don't want to do the work myself  :001_smile:)

It is a very interesting site.