Menu

Dying Pets and $$

Farrar

The SPCA or ASPCA won't put anything about euthanasia on their website.

They don't want people to associate them with that.

My mom has volunteered extensively at the SPCA since she retired, and although they've only had to put down one dog that was given up to the shelter in the past three years (most have been adoptable), a couple people a week bring in an elderly pet to be euthanized.  Call and see if it's available if kitty's rally ends.

eta: oh, I just saw the part about your friend's vet. That's a good idea.

UPDATE

For anyone who's interested. Well, the cat continued to perk up. What a surprise. It's now been almost five days since he had those fluids and he's eating and drinking and hobbling around the house and purring. He made it to the litter box (hooray!) and got snippy with me that I wouldn't let him outside. He keeps taking my chair the moment I get up, which is very him. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he might be back to his ornery self, even if it's a slightly slower ornery self. He was clearly on death's door. He was barely moving, temperature low, completely dehydrated so I'm just shocked that he's still perked up... The vet finally did get back to me to tell me maybe it was his thyroid and she wanted to give him medicine, but probably it was cancer, but maybe not... I'm so done with that vet.

I suspect he does not have many days ahead of him, but we've made our call not to go to the vet again and to take him to the humane society that will euthanize him whenever he decides to stop eating again, whether it's in a few weeks or months. Thanks for the support on that, guys.

Glad he perked up!  Just like a cat!  I hope he gives you a few more years.  But in the event he doesn't, when you do need a large animal vet, call a local riding stable in your area and explain/ask for the name of their vet. 

UPDATE

For anyone who's interested. Well, the cat continued to perk up. What a surprise. It's now been almost five days since he had those fluids and he's eating and drinking and hobbling around the house and purring. He made it to the litter box (hooray!) and got snippy with me that I wouldn't let him outside. He keeps taking my chair the moment I get up, which is very him. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he might be back to his ornery self, even if it's a slightly slower ornery self. He was clearly on death's door. He was barely moving, temperature low, completely dehydrated so I'm just shocked that he's still perked up... The vet finally did get back to me to tell me maybe it was his thyroid and she wanted to give him medicine, but probably it was cancer, but maybe not... I'm so done with that vet.

I suspect he does not have many days ahead of him, but we've made our call not to go to the vet again and to take him to the humane society that will euthanize him whenever he decides to stop eating again, whether it's in a few weeks or months. Thanks for the support on that, guys.