Menu

Final math grade?

I only used test scores.  Homework was practice only - never graded.  We didn't bother with quizzes.

Our ps uses homework, projects, extra credit pages, quizzes, and test scores (group and individual tests) - but honestly?  Those who need that "other stuff" to bring up their grades rarely "know" the math like those who do well on the tests do.  I wanted to do all I could to ensure my guys knew the math.  It worked well.

I should add that true test anxiety can happen, but is rare. If I'd had a student like that I'd probably work on reducing the anxiety so they would be more likely to do well in college - if they were headed toward college.  On the other hand, test anxiety due to not knowing the material is far more common.  Those need more practice or projects working on the material.

Tests 100 pts, quizzes 20 pts.   Simple average.

In my classes (and what I did with my own girls) homework is for practice-- and is not considered complete until all problems have been worked out correctly (so corrections when needed).

Even though I give 30% to homework, it is for practice here too.  My kids must correct all problems before it is considered done and then I give then 100% on the homework.  Because they generally have test averages above 90% (probably from doing all that homework!), the actual amount the homework contributes to the grade is less than 3% (say the test average was 90%--with the homework, the grade would go up to 93%).  I like being able to say that the homework contributes to the grade when I get pushback, and no one has yet thought to check what that actually means.

This.

Homework is corrected not graded. Grades are based on tests. I'm not as cruel as Regentrude though :)

I am not cruel :-). I teach to mastery and expect my students to get an A. If they do not get an A on the pretest, they will not be allowed to finish up the course, but will be required to go back for more review. I see no benefit in moving on unless the material is completely mastered to the standard that I deem necessary. The grade itself is merely a byproduct of that requirement.