Menu

Elementary and Intermediate Algebra Question

First-can someone please share with me how to add a link to amazon?  I can't seem to figure it out.  Thanks

I purchased a copy of Pearson's Elementary & Intermediate Algebra (authors are Sullivan, Struve, & Mazzarella) at Goodwill for $2 and then was fortunate enough to find the student answer book with detailed answers at our library's annual book sale for $1.  The book has the unopened Test Prep CD and instruction videos are available on Amazon. 

I know this is technically a college level text book but I am wondering what the thoughts are on using this for Algebra 1 & Algebra 2.  Chapters 1-7 are considered the elementary portion with the remaining 8 as intermediate.  The text is written to the student and appears to have pretty decent explanations.  I would order the DVD's if I decide to use this book.

My dd really likes the Danika McKellar books so she would be reading each relevant chapter before attempting work in the text book.  I also have a high school Algebra 1 text book that Ron Larson is co-author of to fall back on.

What are your thoughts on the combined book-will it likely cover everything? I will post a link as soon as I figure out how.  :confused1:

Remedial college textbooks can be very good for homeschooling students.  We've used Lial's Intermediate Algebra (another remedial college text) with great success.  The Lial book has all of the instruction in the book as well as thorough problem sets that are keyed to the instruction.  It's as though they're actually trying to help the student succeed (as opposed to high school materials that sometimes seem to me to be trying to make the student fail).  Anyway, if the text you purchased is anything like the Lial text, it will be good.

First-can someone please share with me how to add a link to amazon?  I can't seem to figure it out.  Thanks

I purchased a copy of Pearson's Elementary & Intermediate Algebra (authors are Sullivan, Struve, & Mazzarella) at Goodwill for $2 and then was fortunate enough to find the student answer book with detailed answers at our library's annual book sale for $1.  The book has the unopened Test Prep CD and instruction videos are available on Amazon. 

I know this is technically a college level text book but I am wondering what the thoughts are on using this for Algebra 1 & Algebra 2.  Chapters 1-7 are considered the elementary portion with the remaining 8 as intermediate.  The text is written to the student and appears to have pretty decent explanations.  I would order the DVD's if I decide to use this book.

My dd really likes the Danika McKellar books so she would be reading each relevant chapter before attempting work in the text book.  I also have a high school Algebra 1 text book that Ron Larson is co-author of to fall back on.

What are your thoughts on the combined book-will it likely cover everything? I will post a link as soon as I figure out how.  :confused1:

This is a typical CC remedial text but they are usually not combined. 

Elementary Algebra usually covers HS Algebra 1 and Intermediate Algebra is HS Algebra 2.

The combined text makes it a difficult to map to HS level for both.  Maybe use your Larson book for Algebra 1 with this text for reference and additional problems. You could use the Elementary & Intermediate Algebra for Algebra 2 with some supplementation on Prob and Stats which is expected these days.

I'm not a fan of the combo texts...  The combo texts try to omit any overlap between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2... Overlap means review...The combo texts at the remedial level are NOT cover to cover the same as the individual texts... 

I like my Algebra 1 students to get a good taste for a concept while my Algebra 2 students (usually with Geometry between) get to review the concepts (see them again for the first time!) then move on to meater variations.  So most concepts get seen twice with time between.

The combo texts were written as one semester 'review' courses for students who had previously worked the material (probably several years prior).

They can be used successfully-- with review added when needed.

Sometimes they can be awkward-- some concepts are hard to split without the overlap-- so in the first part of the text a high school student might see Algebra 2 level material before they are quite mentally ready...(lets learn EVERYTHING about xyz concept at one time). 

At the college level it is common to see College Algebra and Trig combo texts-- the SAME EXACT text is often labeled Pre-Calculus.  This level is not considered remedial.

To add a link, highlight the web address of the page you want to link. In your message, highlight the text you want to make "hot". Press the button in the message toolbar with the chain links in front of the world. A little window will open for you to paste the web address into.

FYI, I can't do it from my phone.