Menu

What could this be?

planner

A friend of dd's was over the other day and had a lot of bruising.  I asked her what had happened and she just shrugged her shoulders but her mom told me that they were having some lab work done to try to find the cause.  

Fast forward a few days and dd's friend is missing from school and a mutual friend tells her that she's in the hospital because she "has the wrong blood type."  Anyone know what the mutual friend was trying to describe?  I'm really worried for our friend.

The first thing that springs to mind from the symptoms would be a clotting disorder or leukemia. But, I have no idea what she could mean by the 'wrong blood type." Hugs to your friend. I hope they find an answer quickly.

ETA: Could she mean her blood 'counts' are off - she has too many of the wrong cells?

I had idiothrombocytopenia as a high school senior.  It caused bruising, easy bleeding and petechiae (small red dots on my skin).  I was given a bone marrow test for leukemia, but I did not have it.  It was suspected to be secondary to having chicken pox at the age of 17.  I was treated and recovered, though it was not a fun experience.  I have been just fine since then. 

The serious issues will be ruled out first.  I hope the dd recovers completely.

A friend of dd's was over the other day and had a lot of bruising. I asked her what had happened and she just shrugged her shoulders but her mom told me that they were having some lab work done to try to find the cause.

Fast forward a few days and dd's friend is missing from school and a mutual friend tells her that she's in the hospital because she "has the wrong blood type." Anyone know what the mutual friend was trying to describe? I'm really worried for our friend.

I would call the friend's mom and offer your support. You can say you heard "Jane" was in the hospital, and wanted to know if the family needed anything.

It is always painful for me to hear that people were talking about my DD being hospitalized and none of them called me or her to ask how she was doing or if we needed anything.

I would call the friend's mom and offer your support. You can say you heard "Jane" was in the hospital, and wanted to know if the family needed anything.

It is always painful for me to hear that people were talking about my DD being hospitalized and none of them called me or her to ask how she was doing or if we needed anything.

Oh, I did call her mom to ask about her.  I just hadn't heard back yet and my mind is going all sorts of places.  This is dd's really good friend.  

Her mom just emailed me and all her blood counts are low but the testing they have done so far has ruled out leukemia.  They should know tomorrow but she said whatever it is, it's major.  That's exactly what I was afraid of and exactly what I didn't want to hear.

My oldest Ds was diagnosed with ITP as a teen as well. He just had his spleen out last year as none of the other treatments worked.

I had idiothrombocytopenia as a high school senior. It caused bruising, easy bleeding and petechiae (small red dots on my skin). I was given a bone marrow test for leukemia, but I did not have it. It was suspected to be secondary to having chicken pox at the age of 17. I was treated and recovered, though it was not a fun experience. I have been just fine since then.

The serious issues will be ruled out first. I hope the dd recovers completely.

It is good that they ruled out leukemia. My ds was dxed with leukemia, and his blood counts were low except his white count which was high. We were told it could be a bad virus, maybe mono, but rarely the worst case of leukemia. Um, yea, thanks. Anyway, I hope it is just some infection or mono and she is treated and back to herself soon. FWIW, after my ds was done with treatment he had routine bloodwork done right after a virus, and all of his bloodwork was low. It really can be just a nasty virus.

My oldest Ds was diagnosed with ITP as a teen as well. He just had his spleen out last year as none of the other treatments worked.

Got to keep my spleen, but it was a hard recovery and I took some meds with bad side effects.

All the best to your son. You can tell him you know someone else who had ITP. I've never met anyone else who had it so it is evidently a smallish club.