Menu

Books on Israeli/Palestinian conflict?

obsidian

***I would greatly appreciate it if this thread could simply be a book suggestion thread and not delve into the politics of the situation.***

I recently read The lemon tree : an Arab, a Jew, and the heart of the Middle East by Sandy Tolan and I'm looking for some more books that explore the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians. I would prefer suggestions as unbiased as possible, but if you know of a great book that is biased (so long as it's not extremely biased), please just note which way it's biased. Trying to get a balanced view on the situation, so I'd like to make sure I don't only read books biased in one direction. Any suggestions?

This is in my TBR pile. It's not only about Israel & Palestine but the whole context of the ME

Lawrence in Arabia - war, deceit, imperial folly and the making of the modern middle east  by Scott Anderson

http://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Arabia-Deceit-Imperial-Making/dp/0307476413/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411952011&sr=8-1&keywords=lawrence+in+arabia

I can't recommend a specific book, but stuff by Edward Said should probably be on the list.  (Edited to add: He was a Palestinian Christian…believed in a state for Palestine…but also criticized the Arab states…but definitely on the side of the Palestinians.  Famous for his work on Orientalism…which dealt with colonialism.)

I think rather than books, though (which are almost always biased one way or the other), the best sources are original documents.

Read the UN resolutions on the partition plan.  This links to a summary which links to the full document.   This BBC page goes through a lot of different documents/agreements like Camp David, etc. 

Look at the maps…what was intended…what happened.

Look at the history of the aliyahs starting back in the late 1800s, when the population was â€¦the population changes in Israel, etc.

Look at the Palestinian Paper leaks…the documents that show what was offered up in an effort of pace.