Menu

Advice for WWE 3

dzinmarc

My 8 YO, 3rd grade daughter is using WWE 3. We've gone through levels 1 and 2 the past 2 years at a fairly steady pace and they seemed like the right learning levels for her. The jump in language for year 3 is a struggle for her. The readings to narrate are above her reading level. For dictation,  she can remember the sentences well enough with some effort, but I'm having to spell every other word for her. I suppose she's behind a bit on those skills, though she is progressing in reading and spelling, so I'm not really worried there. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any adivice? I try to make my approach to it light, help her where I can, but it really is basically above her level right now.

For the readings, you can ask her questions and narrations during the reading, rather than waiting until the end. So a fairly long excerpt might have 5-6 interruptions in which you ask a question or ask her to narrate what's happening. Gradually lengthen.

Just keep giving her any spelling help she needs. She'll get there.

You could pause WWE and do something else for this year. Allow her time to mature, explore something else. SWB says WWE 3 in fourth grade is fine. You can keep up narration and dictation skills in other subjects. (Check out the Complete Writer BOOK. It helps you know what are appropriate levels here.)

I'd probably put it on hold, too. We didn't use WWE, but have had similar problems for writing with skill. Dd started that in fifth and the reading was just too hard. She did much better with it in sixth, and is now (7th) working on WWS 2, at a reduced pace.

Maybe try again in January, or March?

I agree with what idnib said. Ask her questions througout and gradually build up to asking them all at the end. The skills my dd learned in WWE extend so much further than her writing ability. It is amazing how many students struggle with being able to 'flesh' out the main idea of a text. Keep at it. 

I also had my daughter sit next to me and read the text with me - sometimes I would read a paragraph then she would read the next one. We changed it up to make sure she was attentive. 

You could get the Complete Writer teacher's guide instead.  It lays everything out to help you choose the right type assignments, but you can choose the literature that is at the appropriate reading level for her.  If you used that, there would be no reason to delay WWE.  You could also switch to a different writing program if you feel she is ready for something different.

I had the same problem. We took nine months off and did the CAP Writing and Rhetoric Level 1. Now he is back in WWE 3, but I have him narrate and then summarize (he "digests" the info when he narrates so then summarizing is fine). Also, I have him write the dictation sentences on Monday and Wednesday as copywork, and then we do dictation on Tuesday and Thursday. I think third graders (and fourth graders) still really benefit from copywork and that it is a shame that there is only dictation scheduled in WWE3.

Emily