Menu

Notgrass American History

This history program for high school, would you say is suitable for 8th grade or would you say it's too difficult?

America the Beautiful is certainly far from 8th grade level, so I thought perhaps the high school version of this text may be more suitable.

And if so would it be only the text and not the work or both are suitable or not?  What do you all think?

Frankly it depends on the kid.  When my younger one was in 7th, I began to panic about 8th because she seemed so ready for high school work.  Everything I looked at for 8th seemed way too easy.

So I bumped her up to 9th grade materials in everything for what was officially 8th grade.  We ended up not going with Notgrass, but I have no regrets about just moving things along.  If they're ready for the high school version, do it!

We're using BJU AR and I hate it.  It's details upon details upon details.  I don't like the Act Guide... mostly regurgitation.  And it's so not homeschool friendly. More isn't better.  It's just more.  Almost out of level IMO.    Beautiful book, but it's too much.  I think too much detail that you can't really grasp the overall view of some things, because of it.    I'm convinced BJU doesn't want you to use their product unless it's through DL. ;) 

Notgrass appeared more friendly but there are no samples of their review book, so I can't get a feel for anything outside of the text.  I despise comprehension questions and looking for something of value there.

I agree with Kinsa on this. The text should be fine, but you might want to change up some of the lit.

I used it with my kids. I think you could use it with an 8th grader. You might want to change up some of the corresponding literature. For example, Uncle Tom's Cabin *might* be a bit much for an 8th grader, but you would know your child's abilities and sensitivities better than we.