Menu

6th grade science -

I started this year with RS4K Chemistry. It's taking almost no time and we will be done with it soon. I had considered continuing with the program but I don't think it's what I want. So now I need something. I have Science Shepherd Life Science on my shelf but I hadn't planned on using it until next year because it might be too much for an 11 year old. I looked at Apologia General Science, CPO Physical Science, and Exploration Education Advanced. Apologia seems so wordy. The only samples I can find are of the first module and there is so much history in it. Also, I am a Christian but get turned off if ever other sentence is 'gee isn't it great that God made molecules." I don't know how much Apologia is like that but I've heard other Christians say it's too much for them. CPO seems ok but maybe not super easy to use in a home setting. Exploration Education looks fun but I don't know how deep it really is. I don't want to end up with something else like RS4K that has really good information... just not much of it. This kid really likes science but her math is behind so down the road I have to be careful about getting into science she can't do because of her math. I am working on it but it's possible she won't be able to start Algebra until 9th grade. 

If I don't do Science Shepherd Life Science this year then that's what I will do next year. 

Any thoughts as to how to proceed? Any other ideas I don't have listed here? Anyone really love (or hate) anything on the list? I also considered Rainbow. I've used it in the past and its' good but it's more money than I have right now. Most of the science budget went for the high schooler and the college tuition.

Edited to add that I need something that is already pulled together.. I don't want a bunch of spines with lots of trips to the library and a lot of work on my part to compile. I don't mind working to teach it but I don't want to spend a lot of time putting it together myself. 

Would you use something informal?  If so, maybe an informal study based around a topic would work.  My 10.5 year old is doing a focused microbiology study this year using mostly library books, online videos, and activities.  If you have time to put something together, it is an inexpensive option.

ETA - Nevermind :p  I just saw your edited to add.  I hope you get some good suggestions :)  I've used informal studies until my kid was ready for an early high school textbook.

If you really like RS4K, you could do the chemistry at slower speed.  I considered that for DD, who is in 7th grade.  Ultimately, I decided against that and went with a combination of the following:  ACS Middle School Chemistry (online and free!), McHenry Elements, followed by McHenry Carbon Chemistry.  That is giving her a full plate of chemistry this year.  McHenry also has excellent biology curriculum, if you are leaning that way.

I ***love*** BJU Science for 6th grade (online or DVD lectures).  This is the only class that is almost entirely hands off for me.  Mrs. Vick is a great teacher.  My son studies for the quizzes and tests from his workbook and his notes.  At the beginning of the year I bought all of the supplies for the main experiments and put them in a box.  We just pull the necessary items out of the box when the occasional experiment comes up, and he does most of them by himself.  Basically the only thing I really do is hand him quizzes and tests and grade the tests.  

My son is learning so much more from Mrs. Vick than from any other science program I have tried.  I have a career in the science field, so it is not that I haven't tried to teach him science!

Besides that, have your kids watch Zula Patrol on PBS.  A lot of that science content is near high school level.

• 3 months later...

Would you use something informal? If so, maybe an informal study based around a topic would work. My 10.5 year old is doing a focused microbiology study this year using mostly library books, online videos, and activities. If you have time to put something together, it is an inexpensive option.

ETA - Nevermind :p I just saw your edited to add. I hope you get some good suggestions :) I've used informal studies until my kid was ready for an early high school textbook.

Embassy, your microbiology study looks fabulous! How much time does your son spend on it a week and is he spending the whole year on it? Does he work independently or are you actively involved teaching it? I may well use a portion of it next year for my then 5th grader.

Thanks!

Embassy, your microbiology study looks fabulous! How much time does your son spend on it a week and is he spending the whole year on it? Does he work independently or are you actively involved teaching it? I may well use a portion of it next year for my then 5th grader.

Thanks!

It is mostly independent.  I assist him in some of the projects and experiments, but he does the videos and reading on his own.  He is probably spending 2 hours a week on it, but that isn't steady - sometimes it is more and sometimes it is less.  I don't know how long it will take.  He started a couple months ago and has just made it through the plant cells.  He is also doing some engineering projects this year for his science time so I don't expect that it will take the entire year.