Menu

Phonics Instruction

kwg

I stop when they can read at 12th grade level, it makes everything else much easier!

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

I also do a yearly phonics review for the next 2 to 3 years after they achieve 12th grade level. My son hasn't hit review level yet, my daughter hit it quite early so I did 3 years of review of phonics rules and concepts, it only took a few hours at the beginning of each school year. One year she did it all in one sitting, she enjoyed it for some reason at that age.

I stop when they can read at 12th grade level, it makes everything else much easier!

I also do a yearly phonics review for the next 2 to 3 years after they achieve 12th grade level. My son hasn't hit review level yet, my daughter hit it quite early so I did 3 years of review of phonics rules and concepts, it only took a few hours at the beginning of each school year. One year she did it all in one sitting, she enjoyed it for some reason at that age.

I'm watching your videos right now ams I'm really liking them!! I haven't looked around your site much yet but can your lessons be used alone and the only phonics instruction a child receives? This seems like maybe a better option than the darn blends that we're working on with Abeka K5 in learning to read. Another question, we've been playing your phonics concentration game for a while and love it. Do you have any other games or do you know of any you can recommend? Games or activities.

I'm watching your videos right now ams I'm really liking them!! I haven't looked around your site much yet but can your lessons be used alone and the only phonics instruction a child receives? This seems like maybe a better option than the darn blends that we're working on with Abeka K5 in learning to read.

I don't think just the videos would be enough repetition for most students.

But, if you did the videos and the things on my multisyllable phonics page, that would be enough for a low repetition student, that is basically what I did with my daughter who needs little repetition in phonics.

My son has worked through 5 phonics programs and is finally just working through Webster, he needs a lot of repetition for phonics. But, he needs less than my daughter did for math!

• 3 weeks later...

Have any of you used All About Spelling? Would I use that as a phonics curriculum or would you recommend using Phonics Pathways too? I have a dyslexic child in 2nd grade that is really struggling and I think starting over with Phonics would be helpful.

I'm currently using AAS and it is not a phonics curriculum. I use PP and use AAS for spelling. I believe I've read somewhere that there are phonics programs for dyslexics. I'm sorry, but I don't know any names.

Have any of you used All About Spelling? Would I use that as a phonics curriculum or would you recommend using Phonics Pathways too? I have a dyslexic child in 2nd grade that is really struggling and I think starting over with Phonics would be helpful.

AAS is a complete phonics program, but it is designed to work on encoding, rather than decoding. So, it's not really the way I'd go with a young student trying to learn to read, unless he's so frustrated with reading programs that he shuts down. Sometimes spelling can be a back-door to reading if that's happening. Otherwise though, take a look instead at the All About Reading program--that would be the way to go to work on reading, and it's based on the Orton-Gillingham method which works well for kids with dyslexia. (Both AAR and AAS are O-G based--here's an article about O-G and spelling).

Here's an article on the differences between AAR and AAS that you might find helpful. 

Hope you find something that helps your son, we struggled a lot with teaching reading too and I know it can be exhausting! Merry :-)