Menu

Annual PSAT sign up reminder

Sneaking on here between classes to remind anyone with a 10th or 11th grader (or other grades) who wants to take the PSAT in Oct, this is the time you are supposed to be locating a school and signing up for it.

(The reminder was just on our daily announcements... so I'm passing it on here!)

If you happen to be in southern PA in a rough area between Gettysburg and York, our school welcomes homeschoolers... but testing can sometimes be "public schoolish" with bells, etc.  Just send me a pm if interested in specific details.

It's $15 (here - other schools have their own fee) and you sign up in our guidance office - calling works, but you need to bring the $$ here, of course.

Others can fill in PSAT questions - I NEED to go give my attention to the Calc class walking in!

Dd was already signed up for the PSAT as I think they're only now figuring out she's not there anymore... but I did call to make sure they don't take her off the list!

Another thread mentioned homeschool codes - last year when they took the PSAT in 10th, I just gave their names to the school and they showed up and took the test.  Is there more that I have to do for her now that she's homeschooled?  Would the school handle things like codes for the PSAT, or do I have to do something, or is that something dd will have to know and fill out when she takes the test that day?

In TX the public schools are required by law to let homeschooled kids take the PSAT.  In our district, they all go to the central office.  Some districts charge ($15 generally), but our district offers it free (yay! our tax dollars being used for are own kids lol).  I searched for PSAT on our school district's website, found a thing about what to do if you are homeschooled, and e-mailed the address listed.  She called me back a day or so later, go the pertinent information, and sent me an e-mail with all the instructions for when she actually goes to take the test next month.

In my area, the public high schools and the way fancy prep school have blown us off, while several church-affiliated schools have been willing to accommodate an extra. Anyone else had the same experience?

I called around before deciding where to go.  Our public schools were willing, but I knew from talking with the neighbor kids that the environment would be distracting.  There were two local religious schools that were willing.  The small one charged $15, required a visit earlier in the week to fill out the actual test identification forms, and gave the test in small classrooms with only 25 students.  The larger one charged $25, required the students to come half an hour early that morning to fill out forms, and gave the test in an auditorium with several hundred present.  If you have options, it's worth asking around to find out the details!

Dd was already signed up for the PSAT as I think they're only now figuring out she's not there anymore... but I did call to make sure they don't take her off the list!

Another thread mentioned homeschool codes - last year when they took the PSAT in 10th, I just gave their names to the school and they showed up and took the test.  Is there more that I have to do for her now that she's homeschooled?  Would the school handle things like codes for the PSAT, or do I have to do something, or is that something dd will have to know and fill out when she takes the test that day?

There is a homeschool code to enter and it's very worth it to have your student know it before she heads to the test.  Our school provides the homeschool code for homeschoolers, but many do not.  If you don't use the homeschool code, the results will be sent to the school rather than to your house.  Many schools delay a bit before giving students results.

Our school is superb with homeschoolers, but there are still some of the ps distractions as only some of our 10th and 11th graders are taking the test.  The rest are going about their school day.  We have our testing classrooms off by themselves to help avoid distractions, but bells will still ring between normal classes, etc.  I know I proctor the test (have for years + will be doing so this year) and try to stick by strict, but fair, rules and always offer a 5 minute warning, etc.  Others aren't always so "perfectionist" about it, though none I know of would allow anything and everything like I sometimes read about on here.

Fwiw, $15 is about the cost of the exam from College Board. I've always been prepared to at least pay that.

[it would be great if schools that covered the cost for enrolled students also waived it for students living in the district who are enrolled elsewhere. But I don't expect them to. I'm just thrilled with access. With AP exams there were real space issues and seats were hard to find. I paid $125 for one exam, which was about $35 over the CB exam fee. ]

There is a homeschool code to enter and it's very worth it to have your student know it before she heads to the test.  Our school provides the homeschool code for homeschoolers, but many do not.  If you don't use the homeschool code, the results will be sent to the school rather than to your house.  Many schools delay a bit before giving students results.

Where does one get the homeschool code?  For the PSAT it must be different by state?

Our school is superb with homeschoolers, but there are still some of the ps distractions as only some of our 10th and 11th graders are taking the test.  The rest are going about their school day.  We have our testing classrooms off by themselves to help avoid distractions, but bells will still ring between normal classes, etc.  I know I proctor the test (have for years + will be doing so this year) and try to stick by strict, but fair, rules and always offer a 5 minute warning, etc.  Others aren't always so "perfectionist" about it, though none I know of would allow anything and everything like I sometimes read about on here.

Guess we're somewhat lucky that our school gives the test on the Saturday date, so no distractions in the hallways... :)

Also a reminder that calculators are allowed.  CB has a specific calculator policy.

I found that Texas Instruments has a couple cool Guidebooks for their calculators.  These go beyond the instruction booklets to be actual practice problem sets to help a student be familiar with buttonology.

Search for (model name) guidebook for teachers

Where does one get the homeschool code?  For the PSAT it must be different by state?

Here's the official link:

https://www.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt/home-schooled-students/state-home-school-codes

Ours (PA) is easy at 993999, though I suppose the student needs to remember where the "3" goes!

Overall, we're 39th on the alphabetical list.  The first and last "99s" are the same for all.

Definitely have to thank you for the reminder, especially as our local school is no longer doing the PSAT or any AP exams.  Sigh.  Really not happy that I now have to call around to schools that are about an hour away to try to find one that will allow ds to take the exam as a sophomore.  (Yes, I know it doesn't count this year, but he will be much more comfortable next year if he can do a practice run this fall.)

I was dealing with this this morning for my junior ds.  There are no schools in my city that offer the PSAT (not a huge surprise given there are only a handful anyway), so I looked at the College Board website and started searching radially.  Closest is going to be Dubai, I started calling the schools on the list but the only answer I'm getting so far is "yes, we offer the test, but your son can't take it."  Like so many things here, I guess in order to have it work out I'll have to come up with wasta (influence, or clout); I had asked around the expat websites as to where he could take it, and the responses I got were largely "he doesn't need to take the PSAT."  Well that wasn't my question.

So I'm hoping, but not hopeful.  Otherwise I guess he'll just have to miss it and perhaps take the SAT in the spring.

In my area, the public high schools and the way fancy prep school have blown us off, while several church-affiliated schools have been willing to accommodate an extra. Anyone else had the same experience?

I was dealing with this this morning for my junior ds.  There are no schools in my city that offer the PSAT (not a huge surprise given there are only a handful anyway), so I looked at the College Board website and started searching radially.  Closest is going to be Dubai, I started calling the schools on the list but the only answer I'm getting so far is "yes, we offer the test, but your son can't take it."  Like so many things here, I guess in order to have it work out I'll have to come up with wasta (influence, or clout); I had asked around the expat websites as to where he could take it, and the responses I got were largely "he doesn't need to take the PSAT."  Well that wasn't my question.

So I'm hoping, but not hopeful.  Otherwise I guess he'll just have to miss it and perhaps take the SAT in the spring.

I had trouble last year as well.  We could take the PSAT as homeschoolers in that state, but I had to go through MANY hoops to get my child in.  It was very discouraging and very anti-homeschooling from the teacher over the test.   He did let us take it but after many emails and about 4 phone calls.    Had I not wanted my child to take it so bad, I would have just walked away from it and not dealt with it.

This year (we have moved) we are able to take it through our homeschool group who is using a private Christian school.  They will let our students take the test with their students-- easy peasy.  It is a joy compared to last year.

I don't mind the distractions in the hall or taking with other public school kids, etc.  I feel like that is "life" and as homeschoolers it is important to get our child in different testing situations so that when they get to college, etc. they don't flounder.   Distractions are everywhere -- work, school, etc.  Just my opinion.  I like having my child tested that way.  I feel that each test we do before the big ones (like ACT, SAT) is just preparing for that test.  I don't want my child to walk into the SAT with no testing experience with other random students.  Maybe I am an odd one.  I will say after where my son took his PSAT last year, he left with a BIG appreciation for homeschooling.

I feel for those whose school districts are not pleasant to deal with and/or who don't even have the test around them.

Our school district is terrific and now even gets AP tests in for homeschooled students who want them (at cost) EVEN when we don't offer those classes/tests to our own students (though we would if any wanted to self-study for them).

The AP part didn't happen when my own middle son wanted them.  We had to go to the neighboring town's Catholic high school for that - and they got a test in for him that they didn't offer one year.   I just related my story back here at "home" (my workplace) and the next year, our policy changed.   :D

Hence - why I tossed in our rough location if anyone is nearby.