Menu

Please talk to me about Essentials in Writing

Flowergirl159

DD9 will begin with EIW level 5 in January. She is currently working on Writing Strands 3 and Easy Grammar 3, and should be finished or will move on from them in December. I like the look of it being low parent intensive, especially since I use AAS and Singapore Math - both of which are high parent intensive, and I have two younger ones to teach as well.

DD7 is currently using WWE1 and FLL2. I am thinking when she sees big sis's writing program, she will want to try that too. I have taken the approach to writing of oral narration, copy work, and dictation. How does EIW level 3 work? She doesn't usually write more than about two sentences a day, and that is usually in form of copy work. She has expressed lately that she wants to write stories. She thinks she would like to use Writing Strands like her older sister does. She also appears to be one who would like to work independently, not have me teaching her all of her subjects. I was thinking of continuing with WWE, Easy Grammar 3, and perhaps LLATL Yellow for her for next year. Our year begins in January, she will be grade 3 and 8yrs old. What is EIW like for this age range?

There is not a lot of writing in the beginning of EIW 3.  Mostly fill in the blank and short answer questions.  It seems through the year that they definitely progress to more writing (the end of the year looks like it will be a 3 or 5 paragraph essay), but he does that on purpose to build there writing skills.

Have you looked at the sample of the third grade workbook (with the syllabus)?  It helped me immensely.

http://www.essentialsinwriting.com/resources/LEVEL%203%20SAMPLE.pdf

I think EIW 3 would work.  My DD who is in 5th this year (but 8) is currently working through EIW 3 at a super speed because I want her to do EIW 3 and 4 this year.  It seems like it breaks things down into VERY manageable sizes for that age.

Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer!!  We have only been using EIW for 4 weeks!!

Thank you for your helpful info :)

I have looked at the sample, but it didn't really answer all of my questions. 3-5 paragraphs sounds like a lot of writing for grade 3. I will have to look into it further.

Thanks again :)

Even in the upper grades, you aren't doing all those paragraphs in one day--it's broken down into incremental parts over days, and you get to choose if you want to spend even more time on a lesson--so you can make it doable for your student. 

In EIW 3 I see only one form of writing that requires 3 paragraphs and like Merry said it is broken down by step making it manageable. Also, the report may require that many paragraphs, but depends on how you choose to have them report it, we did it last year and my daughter did a poster board presentation rather than a written report on that. We like the program a lot as it is easy to use and a more gentle approach. My kids don't mind writing anymore!

I have found EIW to be a gentle, well paced curriculum for even our reluctant writers.  As someone upthread mentioned, what might look like a lot of writing is broken down into small, digestible chunks.  I think this curriculum is wonderful, and we have seen vast improvement with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question here--would a child need to go back to previous years to get background information to be successful in this curriculum?  I'm needing independence for my 4th and 7th grader with a toddler and newborn.  They will be finishing R&S3 (4th grader) and Hake 6 (7th grader) by December and I'm trying to figure out what would work best for them next year.  I keep coming back to EIW because the format looks doable, but...will is it enough?  It is too gentle?  Or is that what my kids need?  I know only I can make that decision, but ahhh!!!

• 2 months later...

Does it include an answer key to the workbook?

Yes, although I'm not sure how much I referred to it after Level 7. As you get into the higher levels, they are doing more of their own writing--so an answer key doesn't really "work" for that. There is a great, descriptive checklist that you & your kids can use though, and a grading rubric based on it for each type of essay--so it won't be a big surprise as far as how they score. 

The first section is sentences, and I think 7 and 8 still had provided sentences to fix, which you can check--so I used the answer key for those. 

Another question here--would a child need to go back to previous years to get background information to be successful in this curriculum? I'm needing independence for my 4th and 7th grader with a toddler and newborn. They will be finishing R&S3 (4th grader) and Hake 6 (7th grader) by December and I'm trying to figure out what would work best for them next year. I keep coming back to EIW because the format looks doable, but...will is it enough? It is too gentle? Or is that what my kids need? I know only I can make that decision, but ahhh!!!

It is gentle, so kids love it and it works! Win win :)

No, we started in Grade 6. Jumped right into it no problem. Every year seems to build upon another etc. ..

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case this is helpful for future finders of this thread, I emailed EIW and asked them what level I should put my somewhat "remedial" in writing 4th grader in, wondering if he needed to start at Level 1. They replied that Level 1 would be very remedial, and recommended Level 3. 

DD9 will begin with EIW level 5 in January. She is currently working on Writing Strands 3 and Easy Grammar 3, and should be finished or will move on from them in December. I like the look of it being low parent intensive, especially since I use AAS and Singapore Math - both of which are high parent intensive, and I have two younger ones to teach as well.

DD7 is currently using WWE1 and FLL2. I am thinking when she sees big sis's writing program, she will want to try that too. I have taken the approach to writing of oral narration, copy work, and dictation. How does EIW level 3 work? She doesn't usually write more than about two sentences a day, and that is usually in form of copy work. She has expressed lately that she wants to write stories. She thinks she would like to use Writing Strands like her older sister does. She also appears to be one who would like to work independently, not have me teaching her all of her subjects. I was thinking of continuing with WWE, Easy Grammar 3, and perhaps LLATL Yellow for her for next year. Our year begins in January, she will be grade 3 and 8yrs old. What is EIW like for this age range?

For English my dd 12 will be using EIW, Jump-in and Easy Grammar next year (when school starts again in Feb.)...... plus Megawords and vocabulary. I'm just putting an order through soon. :)