Menu

Finding time for preschool

Kidlit

I have a bright 4 yo boy who is eager to do school like his big sisters, but I am having SUCH a hard time finding a time for it! It's so bad that I've even thought longingly of a b & m preschool class for him. (That is really unlike me, especially for a preschooler, so it's bad.). Can anyone share with me your schedule if you're also schooling older kids?

We do not have a strict schedule, but we just do work when we aren't doing other things (snacks, meals, caring for baby, etc.).  Though I do formal/semi-formal work with him in math, handwriting, and pre-reading we don't do all of those subjects every day and we don't even do anything (except read alouds) some days.  I think we'll fall into more of a routine as we get further into the year.  Some of the things that many preschoolers enjoy, like crafts, read alouds, and science exploration, are enjoyed by all ages.

I feel like I knew how to do this for so long, and now here comes another one throw into the mix! Whew! Right now it's actually prep that's my problem--I was planning to do a gentle letter of the week program with him, but that requires lots of time at the library to find the appropriate books, etc. He's such a chatty little fellow, too.

I guess it depends a little on what you envision a preschool program entailing.

My ideal preschool would spend 15ish minutes a day on letters/numbers/writing, 15+ minutes a day on art or sensory exploration, 15+ minutes a day listening to stories, and 15ish minutes a day on life skills (sweeping, baking, watering plants, etc).  The rest of the time would be spent playing inside and out.

I have found the easiest way to make sure I fit those things into my 3 year old's day is by including him in our school time (take this with a grain of salt, though, because I don't have any students older than kindergarten).

Right after breakfast, my boys have about 90 minutes to play, play, play.  I do not allow any electronics during this time, and I encourage them to get outside or play in the basement where we have a climber and rock wall.  After that, we have a snack, get the baby down for his morning nap and then start school time.

While the 5 year old does some Explode the Code phonics, the 3 year old and I stay out of his hair by working on a life skill (chores, preping dinner, feeding our pet turtle, etc).  Then when the 5 year old needs me to help him with math, the 3 year old sits with us at the table and can choose between a Kumon workbook or a busy bag.  I made simple busy bags that he can do mostly independently that focus on letters, numbers and fine motor skills.  Fifteen minutes later we are ready to move onto a content subject.  

The three year old listens to our content subject readings (history, geography, science) and participates at his own level with whatever activities we are doing.  Lastly, we are ready to pull out the art supplies (a loose rotation or watercolors, tempera paint, dot markers, paper and glue, stamps, playdoh, stringing beads, etc) and both boys are welcome to either do art or play in our sensory bin while I make lunch.  After lunch the big boys and I settle down for rest time by reading two picture books of each of their choosing.

Wendy

I teach 3s turning 4 at B&M preschool.

Most of preschool is really just things you can do at home, just by living. So don't worry too much.

Let your environment teach your child. Maybe this will help you feel better--Helping with chores, listening to a story every day (make time for that, if nothing else), messing around with playdough/crayons/pencils/paper, playing outside--Here's that put into Preschool Teacherease--

Chores: Setting the table teaches  one-to-one correspondence, a necessary math skill. Putting away the silverware from the dishwasher involves sorting. Sweeping the floor engages the large muscles and improves eye-hand coordination. Folding towels helps with spatial relationships.

Story: Teaches concepts of print, book language, vocabulary, and content (based on the book). Being read to is the single best predictor of reading success later.

Playdough/art materials: Strengthens fine motor, helps the brain develop sensory integration as it receives tactile input, provides opportunity to see how non-Newtonian colloidal suspensions work (actually, that's for cornstarch and water "gak"). Art develops fine motor, comes from "within" the child, provides opportunity to learn elements of art (line, color, shape, form, space, etc.)

Playing outside: Involves gross motor skills, teaches beginning scientific observation, helps sensory integration/brain development...

See? Don't fret that you don't have time. Live with your little one. Buy good toys. Play more with real things than screens (but screens are ok, too). Read to your child. TALK to/with your child.

You do all that, right? He'll be fine.

We have struggled with this as well. My youngest begs for school. I started this year with 3 days a week with her and quickly realized she would accept in less than 5. Our current schedule is she does Bible with us first thing and then I spend 30 minutes with her while the older two work independently. She needs that time first thing and then she plays alone so much better. During that 30 or so minutes we do AAR, HWOT, and SM. then, in the afternoon when everyone else is done, we snuggle on the couch with FIAR.

It's still hard to fit in, but I am trying to prioritize her. I have to think she deserves my time just as much as he others. Yes, the academics may not be important at this stage, but the one on one time with her is.

Since the planning is holding you up, go for something already done for you.  MFW K5 was good for us.  It's pretty much a letter of the week study (with basic cvc instruction and basic math if you want it), and you can use out of it just what you need.  We skipped the cvc and math and just did the letter of the week and it was great fun for that.  We used Saxon K5 math that year, btw, and even if you're not a Saxon lover it's ADORABLE.  We had tons of fun with it.  :)  For the book basket, I just used the online library thing and got them through ILL a month ahead.  That way I had them when I needed them.  I seldom go to the shelf and pull books anymore.  I just do the online selection and put them on hold.

I understand! It's so easy for the littles just to come along for the ride, and to they listen happily to read alouds that I m reading to the whole gang, and they participate or watch science projects, and they play with each other, and all of that, but they're happiest when I make a point to spend some time reading picture books to them and to put out materials for them. I do spend a fair amount of time, especially over the summer, putting together preschool packs for them, because they love the cutting and gluing and matching and whatnot, but what works best is when I sit down with them for a while (sometimes just 15 minutes if they have some project of their own that they're wanting to do, and sometimes up to an hour if we are enjoying a good pile of books). It's important to me not that they do school (although they are usually the ones asking to do school like the had big kids) but that they not be pushed to grow up too quickly, that they get to do the sensory stuff and listen to the picture books and all. But if I don't do it first in the day, it won't happen later. We leave the breakfast table, brush our teeth, and sit down in the schoolroom; the big two have a list of things to check on their own, to see what they can do independently, and my littles and I do the calendar together and read and do preK/K stuff. It's good for me too, to have that easy and fun part of my day.

I usually get on the computer on the weekend and request the books I need for the littles and whatever else too.